Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Turtles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Turtles Forum

Animals_are_my_life   5k1ttl3r   Cinderella   Jawsthemeswimming   Alex0794   TortoiseChic   Jawsthemeswimming  
 Member  Message

Animals_are_my_life
View Profile

Turtle growing too big for itís shell

Ok so a year ago, my mom found this little turtle in a lake in the pavement, she took it home because the turtle may have been in risk to be eaten by a pelican(it was a baby)so we put it in with our red ear slider turtle. Well just a few months ago, the little turtle died, but before it died, she was too big for her shell and it seemed as if her heart burst, it was in perfect health except for that. My red ear slider is starting ot get too big for its shell to so Im worried that it may suffer the same fate as the poor other little turtle(which I have no idea what kind it was) and they seemed to get along fine just incase if people start asking i fthey maybe fought or something. Not sure if bloatness is a disease in turtles, any suggestion on how I can cure my turtle? Also, I feed the red ear one at night only if maybe its the feeding schedule that causes that...PLEASE HELP!!!

06/04/07  12:33pm

5k1ttl3r
View Profile

Message To: Animals_are_my_life   In reference to Message Id: 1305483

If you donít know what kind of turtle the other one was then maybe you shouldve tried to find out. Maybe you werenít feeding it all the stuff it needed. Do you calcium dust or have a cuttle bone thing? They need calcium to grow and the uvb light. I would try to identify the turtle then see the care and see if you messed up somehow. I donít think turtles die from out growing their shell unless their shell isnít growing. Turtles will shed their skin and shell as they grow. If their shell isnít growing I guess it would be from a calcium deficiency (sp?) Doyou have any pictures of the one you found so we might be able to help Identify it. Or describe what it looked like maybe?.....

06/04/07  01:27pm

Cinderella
View Profile

Message To: 5k1ttl3r   In reference to Message Id: 1305540

When you say they are too big for their shell what do you mean?

And how do you know its heart burst? Did you have a necropsy done?

Leslie

06/04/07  10:05pm

Jawsthemeswimming
View Profile

Message To: Cinderella   In reference to Message Id: 1306257

you shouldnt have taken that turtle, itís nature for one animal to eat another, besideds pellicans wont usually eat turtles! he was at more risk from negligence.
what tank have you got ur red ear in now? explain every thing about it- lights, filter, heater, basking area, heat lamp, size and water depth. every thing! then whgat ur feeding the turtle, pellet food i bet!
you need to feed lots of calcium and very little protien, too much protien will cause eccessive growht and kill the turtle. well dont for looking into these things before u bought one and took another from the wild. got knows what parasites that wild turtle gave ur other one!

06/05/07  08:16am

Alex0794
View Profile

Message To: Animals_are_my_life   In reference to Message Id: 1305483

Wellllll

not trying to be rude but .......ur never sapost to put to diffrent turtles in the same aqaruim.and maybe the little turtle had a disease and died from it .....and maybe it was contages and spred it to the other turtle that u had ....u might want to take it to a vet .

06/05/07  01:00pm

TortoiseChic
View Profile

Message To: Alex0794   In reference to Message Id: 1306842

Wellllll

when your turtle looks like its growing faster the common culprit is that its not getting enough UVB light and calcium in its diet. UVB is very important as it helps the turtle process its D3 Vitamins and its bones and shell will quit growing properly and sometimes all together. some turtles shells will even become deformed! Look up the long island turtle and tortoise rescue or google scooter the turtle to get a good idea of what I mean. :) You can purchase a UVB light for about $10 at a pet store. You can purhase a lamp to hold the bulb at Walmart in the home/hardware section for about $8. Its such a simple fix to such a big problem. You might also try some UVB drops sold at your local pet store. 1 drop a week (keep the drops in the fridge) will help correct your turtles problem also.
Hope that helps some :)

06/07/07  04:21pm

Jawsthemeswimming
View Profile

Message To: TortoiseChic   In reference to Message Id: 1309689

Wellllll

i remember skooter, pore box turtle... if i ever met the son of a bit@&$ who did that id kill em.....

06/07/07  05:58pm

Back to Turtles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area