Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Turtles Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Turtles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Lovemykitty   Mobius118   Lovemykitty   Mobius118   Mobius118   TurtleSavvy   Daphydoo   All about snake   Mk17rules   SapphireDragon   Mk17rules   Jlamb  

Member  Message

Lovemykitty
View Profile

Please Answer Some of my Questions About YELLOW BELLY SLIDERS

i got a yellow belly slider for a present from Florida . apparently the Pet store didn’t know anything about Turtles. or even Reptiles. they said he didn’t need a light. he can grow to his tank so i can keep him small?!?! and that to feed him once a week one pellet. so i read up on it and found different answers for things i needed to know. mine is a half dollar size male. well at least that’s what they said. he has spots on his belly and looks like a red eared slider. I’m sure I’ll post pictures later. how hot should there basking Temp get. i have a 100 w basking lamp and a Uvb lamp is a Tropical series 25 micro watts 12" and a little above where he basks it got up to 95 degrees. is that ok? and should i have both lights on the same side or on different sides of the tank. i have a 55 gallon tank. and a fish filter. with 10 gallons of water in it for now. he can turn upside down and swim around . he is very happy. i feed him everyday even tho he only eats maybe one pellet. i bought him shrimp in a can for turtles for snacks. i dont have a water heater and i turn off the lights after 12 hours. anything i can do ? and how many times should i clean my tank if its 55 gallons with only 10 gallons of water?very appreciated if someone can give me tips. im a new Turtle owner. i used to have a water dragon.

04/12/11  08:18pm

Mobius118
View Profile

Message To: Lovemykitty   In reference to Message Id: 2214149

well turtles are nothing like keeping lizards.

you did good by not listen to that pet store, if i heard them tell someone that id give em a smack across the back of the head.

to start 55 gallon is a fantastic size for your slider. basking lamp is good the area should be between 85-90, if you can move the lamp away even a little bit it will be perfect, otherwise perhaps step down to a 75 watt bulb. add more water to the tank at least 20 gallons so long as your little guy can swim strongly. get a heater for your tank too for night time, water should sit around 70 to keep them going. as for the UVB light can you post a picture of the package I’m not familiar with that type of bulb but will gladly look into it for you to let you know for placement, my UVB bulbs are placed over the water where the turts can soak up the rays all the time, but depending on the type of bulb it might not reach far enough down into the tank to be doing anything.

no for the turtle itself please post some pics, but if its as small as you say, you probably cant sex it yet anyways, Ive have two red ears and Rio red ear slider. either way that are the same species and have the same needs.

for food, lettuce, any veggies he will eat, guppies, and turtle pellets that are high quality, Flukers Buffet blend is what i use, and it have pellets freeze dried shrimp and fish mixed in, but be forewarned feed him it in a separate container or you will despise the unholy smell it creates, Ive experience it once and that was enough for me. while on this topic, partial water changes ever two week full tank and filter cleaning once a month. fish filter probably not your best choice, get an in tank filter or external, seriously or your be doing water changes every two days anyways once he really start eating. Fluval U2 and a Exo Terra 350 are the best combination for in tank filters (in tanks of your size) and they are cheaper, if you have the cash lying around get an external filter but they will run in the 200-400 dollar range.

post some pics id love to see him, and have fun they live for a long time and have the most character of any not dog or cat pet. in fact my Rio RES is more like a dog then a turtle loves to play games with me and loves shell and head rubs. hes kinda weird like that lol.

04/14/11  11:54pm

Lovemykitty
View Profile

Message To: Mobius118   In reference to Message Id: 2214478

This is Bruce<3
thank you so much for your help.:)

04/18/11  10:15pm

Mobius118
View Profile

Message To: Lovemykitty   In reference to Message Id: 2215050

aw what a good looking baby, definitely has the potential to be a male by the length of his claws but the only way to tell is to just wait till he get about year-year and a half. also i dont think hes a yellow bellied slider, i made this mistake too and my girl is about 7 years old lol. She is a Florida Red Bellied Cooter. now ive never seen them as babies, we dont have them very often up here in Canada, but the markings your guy has are the same mine does.
at the moment i dont have any decent pictures of the two i will post some when i do

04/19/11  08:16pm

Mobius118
View Profile

Message To: Mobius118   In reference to Message Id: 2215165

as i said pictures of my yellow bellied slider and Florida red bellied cooter

those are yellow, the YBS, see the side of his head, much different from your guy

now my FRBC she didnt want to be very cooperative tonight, usually she alot more photogenic but i only got a couple of pics off of her and its kinda difficult to get a good shot of her. but this is the one i think you have.

04/20/11  08:10pm

TurtleSavvy
View Profile

Message To: Lovemykitty   In reference to Message Id: 2215050

Actually I believe thats a red eared slider because of the red stripe on his head. And yeah you should feed him only as much pellets as he can eat in about 2 minutes. Pellets make up only about 25% of their diet, you should also feed him bloodworms and baby krill and shrimp. You can try giving him vegetables but when they’re babies they’re mostly carnivorous. I have 3 baby RES and know a bit about them. If you need more info you can send me a message. Good luck.

11/14/11  12:02am

Daphydoo
View Profile

Message To: TurtleSavvy   In reference to Message Id: 2244144

Looks like a Yellow eared slider to me. I have 2 of them, around 6 inches. I do not use a tank for them, I have a pond system. What do you have in the tank for a basking area? YES,YBS,RES, EPT mostly have the same diet. As younger guys/gals they will be more into eating the shrimp, krill, ect. As they get older they switch more into eating the lettuce and greens.

I do not have a heater in my pond, but I do have a 150 watt lamp over a basking area that brings the temp to about 90 degrees. It also warms the water up for them, and it cools at night to around 74 degrees (room temp)

Seems like you are pretty on track. The UVB , Heat lamp, and keep up with the pellet and shrimp.

I change my water every couple of days. I use an internal filter and have many branches, large rocks, and I use a large plastic pot (whole cut out) as a cave for them to go in and out of. Hiding spots are important, but my girls are super interactive now that they are larger. Here is a photo of one of mine basking....

12/01/11  11:39am

All about snake
View Profile

Message To: Daphydoo   In reference to Message Id: 2245821

alright u guys dont know any thang about turtles ok. im trying not to be rude but that is a red eared sliderok .

07/20/12  10:37pm

Mk17rules
View Profile

Message To: All about snake   In reference to Message Id: 2274101

thats a red eared slider turtle i have one that i have had since he was only 1 1/2 inches and he looked exactly like that . he is now 1 year old and is 4 inches. but yeah this is a red eared slider :)

05/27/13  08:15pm

SapphireDragon
View Profile

Message To: Mk17rules   In reference to Message Id: 2297774

First off, it’s a Red-Eared Slider. Second, they like chicken. That’s a good thing to give them, especially a small one.

05/27/13  08:52pm

Mk17rules
View Profile

Message To: SapphireDragon   In reference to Message Id: 2297777

i will have to try the chicken sapphiredragon ive never heard of that lol. also would 4 inch red eared slider try and kill a plecostomous thats bigger than him?

05/30/13  10:27pm

Jlamb
View Profile

Message To: Lovemykitty   In reference to Message Id: 2214149

well the pet shop was wrong in every direction
you need to feed the turtle every day about the size of its head and it is good to keep both sides ot the
light fictures on at the same time
it would be better to put a little bit more water in there because red ear sliders are very good swimmers that love deep water
i put just enough in my turtle tank to where she has to work to get some air because if i didnt she would be too fat and lazy to do anything
but other than those things you look pritty good and you know what you are doing

04/02/14  08:16am

Back to Turtles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area