Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Turtles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Turtles Forum

Leroy   Chalscripta   Leroy   Chalscripta   Mat   Mista ochiss   TurtleBites   Reptilelady   Shelli   Leroy   Chalscripta   Mista ochiss   Mista ochiss   Chalscripta  
 Member  Message

Leroy
View Profile

Rock Eaters??

I keep catching my terrapins chewing on pebbles in the bottom of the tank!?

Is that normal? do they eat them??

Hope not
Leroy

08/19/05  03:23pm

Chalscripta
View Profile

Message To: Leroy   In reference to Message Id: 447572

Rock Eaters??

In some cases it is normal but not good for them. If the rocks are small enough they will swallow them which can cause major problems. Get bigger rocks like lake or river stones and remove the rocks you can also not use any rocks at all which some people do.

08/19/05  03:52pm

Leroy
View Profile

Message To: Chalscripta   In reference to Message Id: 447608

Rock Eaters??

is there another alternative so that it still looks natural but they dont eat íem?

08/19/05  04:21pm

Chalscripta
View Profile

Message To: Leroy   In reference to Message Id: 447646

Rock Eaters??

Yeah like I said bigger rocks, lakes stones and river stones are larger and natural looking.

08/19/05  04:54pm

Mat
View Profile

Message To: Chalscripta   In reference to Message Id: 447688

Rock Eaters??

you could try sand aswell as its less likely to compact it might just b the turtles eatinmg some food on the bottom of the floor.

Burkey and soon

08/19/05  09:55pm

Mista ochiss
View Profile

Message To: Mat   In reference to Message Id: 447962

Rock Eaters??

I researched this topic and found that it is perfically normal for terripans to eat rocks. While the reason is unknown the turtles should have no problem digesting the rocks.

08/19/05  10:02pm

TurtleBites
View Profile

Message To: Mista ochiss   In reference to Message Id: 447969

Rock Eaters??

do not use sand at all..most care sheets will tell you the same.

08/20/05  01:15am

Reptilelady
View Profile

Message To: TurtleBites   In reference to Message Id: 448195

Rock Eaters??

I do not suggest small rocks ..... If it is small enough for them to eat it is too small for them to be in the tank . Natural or not ...... rocks donít break down to be digested ! In the wild they may eat them but they also donít have a human there to protect them from impaction either .

08/20/05  07:41am

Shelli
View Profile

Message To: Reptilelady   In reference to Message Id: 448313

Rock Eaters??

When I started to keep RES many years ago I was told by the petshop that small pebbles were fine, I learned the hard way, I lost my first three turtles to impaction, please take the advice of the experienced keepers here...... better to be safe than sorry. Rule of thumb is anything that can fit into the turts mouth and shouldnít be eaten shouldnít be in the tank!!!

08/20/05  08:12am

Leroy
View Profile

Message To: Shelli   In reference to Message Id: 448320

Rock Eaters??

bit worried now!

I keep catching them chewing bits of tiny rock but then spitting them out (not sure if they eat them?)

Is it ok to have a clear tank bottom? anyone got any pics of there setup for hints??

08/20/05  04:07pm

Chalscripta
View Profile

Message To: Leroy   In reference to Message Id: 448673

Rock Eaters??

Turtles can not digest rocks if they are lucky they pass them through but most of the time the rocks will sit in there stomachs and inevitably cause impaction. Remove the rocks replace them with larger stones that your turtle will not be able to fit into its mouth.

08/20/05  04:48pm

Mista ochiss
View Profile

Message To: Chalscripta   In reference to Message Id: 448710

Rock Eaters??

Heres what i found- i dont know if its true or not though-

20) Our turtle seems to be eating rocks on the bottom of her tank! What do we do about this?
[Jody Karlin] Nothing, it is normal behavior for some species to consume gravel ie..Diamondback Terrapins do it religiously. Although the exact reason for this is open to debate, the most prevalent theory is that the gravel aids in the digestive process. Donít worry about blockage, they will "pass the stones", so to speak.

Go to - http://www.tortoisetrust.org/care/faq.html#rock

08/20/05  05:46pm

Mista ochiss
View Profile

Message To: Chalscripta   In reference to Message Id: 448710

Rock Eaters??

Heres what i found- i dont know if its true or not though-

20) Our turtle seems to be eating rocks on the bottom of her tank! What do we do about this?
[Jody Karlin] Nothing, it is normal behavior for some species to consume gravel ie..Diamondback Terrapins do it religiously. Although the exact reason for this is open to debate, the most prevalent theory is that the gravel aids in the digestive process. Donít worry about blockage, they will "pass the stones", so to speak.

Go to - http://www.tortoisetrust.org/care/faq.html#rock

08/20/05  05:47pm

Chalscripta
View Profile

Message To: Mista ochiss   In reference to Message Id: 448768

Rock Eaters??

Yup that about sumís it up that article is right no one knows the exact reason why they do it the speculation is that it is used by some turtles to aid digestion but more specifically to aid it by using the rocks to crush or grind things which just one of my theories but it is unknown why exactly they do it. The fact is there is a great chance of impaction or rupture in the stomach if the rock is oddly shaped, jagged or to large to pass. Safest thing to do remove the gravel or small rocks use larger lake or river stones. This odd behavior can be seen in many different types of turtles in captivity it should be avoided and prevented. A good way to gage which rocks are adequate simply compare the to the size of the rock to size of your turtles head either get rocks that are as big or twice as big as your turtles head depending on species.

08/20/05  08:31pm

Back to Turtles Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area