Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Uromastyx Forum

Superbigjay   Superbigjay   Superbigjay   Superbigjay   Superbigjay   Superbigjay   Skullkeeper   Superbigjay   HittoriHanzo   Superbigjay   Tonymontana   Superbigjay   Zenmetsu   Superbigjay   Superbigjay   Superbigjay   Superbigjay   Superbigjay   Superbigjay   Superbigjay   ShanirasMom   Superbigjay   Superbigjay   Superbigjay   Superbigjay   HittoriHanzo   Superbigjay   HittoriHanzo   Pukey Bear   Superbigjay  
Pages 1 2 3 Next
 Member  Message

Superbigjay
View Profile

Project uroMAMEstyx and uroVIVAstyx

Hello,
this is my first post in this Forum.

Iíll use this thread to talk about my next project for which Iíll need advices from more experience uro owners (Iím a total newbie)...

The first few posts will be cutínípast from my thread that was on another forum, but from which I didnít get any feedback yet. There seems to be more traffic on this site, so I might get more feedback...

enjoy, and thanks in advance for any advice/comment you may have...

03/29/07  10:40pm

Superbigjay
View Profile

Message To: Superbigjay   In reference to Message Id: 1227088

[copy/paste march 17th 2007]

NOTE:
This first post is almost the same that I used for an Arcade Forum. It might be a bit too oriented on the arcade side, but rest assured, itís only for this post....

========================================
Hello all,

A few months ago (jan 2006), a friend of mine started itís own Arcade project. Knowing that I was someone who always has a project in mind, he was sending me pictures and stories about the progression of his project ...

I didnít take long before I decided that BYOA would be on my list of next projects

So July 1st 2006, I took the first step : I bought the ARCADE PROJECT book and start reading...

The next months were taken to look at different project annoucements, try to figure out the CP layout and finish my ongoing project : kitchen renovations...

23 Dec 2006 : Kitchen is done (just before Christmas : we had 20 family members coming over)

Feb 1st 2007:
I have a good idea of the CP layout, the components Iíll use. But I still havenít found the arcade theme. Without it, I canít start ordering stuff, since I donít know the "accent" color.

March 2nd 2007:
Thereís the "salon des reptiles" in Montreal (you can guess the translation here). We (girlfriend and I) bring my 2 nephews to it. We spent a few hours looking at many different kind of lizards. Finally my girlfriend tells me : It would be nice to have a Lizard at home. If the vivarium is nice, it could be used to decorate the living room

==> Lizard and desert theme!!!

(I donít know if you see the power of that theme)

At this moment, I looked in my girlfriend big beautiful blue eyes and told her:
As usual, you have an excellent idea!
I will buid a nice wooden/glass vivarium (4 feet long) in one corner.
On the wall we already have 2 wooden lamps (a turtle and a lizard)
And on the other corner, we could put the Arcade with a Lizard theme !

Do I have to tell you what was the first reaction of my girlfriend when I told her I wanted to build an arcade the first time? But this time, it didnít seem to bother her

The power of that theme is that not only I was finally able to choose the color for the arcade parts and start spending money, but I could put the arcade directly in the living room!!!

------------------------------------------------
So hereís the general idea: ARCADE
- lizard/desert theme (accent color : YELLOW)
- cabinet based on UAII with slight modifications
- 2 player coin door
- stainless steel cabinet side
- 12-15" lateral lighted circular logos
- transluscent yellow trackball
- transluscent pushbuttons
- 2 joysticks

As you see, Iím not re-inventing the wheel. Just re-using ideas

Choosing the name:
The Lizard requirements were:
- vegetarian (girlfriend doesnít like mouse, crickets and even less worms)
- docile (for beginner)
- good size (12-24 inches)

==> Mali/niger Uromastyx

This is how I ended up with the name "uroMAMEstyx".

If there some intereset for the acrade link, Iíll post it...

So hereís the general idea: Vivarium
The lizard vivarium will probaly have a small logo with the name on it "uroVIVAstyx"

The vivarium features are:
- 4 feet long
- 18 inches wide
- roughly 16 inches high
It will be a 2 story vivarium. Some kind of deluxe penthouse for lizard.
The final dimensions should be something like: 48Lx18Wx48H

If any of you have a suggestion, please donít hesitate to post.

NOTE: English is my second language, so Iím sorry if thereíre many errors

03/29/07  10:49pm

Superbigjay
View Profile

Message To: Superbigjay   In reference to Message Id: 1227099

[copy/paste march 22th 2007]

for those interested, hereís the link for the "arcade" part of this project:
uroMAMEstyx Project

As for the uroVIVAstyx project, hereís what I have in mind...

I already have a quotation for having the glass cut for the viv.
The plans are almost done. Iím getting a biscuit joiner this weekend.

The only thing I have to do before building is to fix the basement door for my workshop. Right now, the door is not "dust" proof. So everytime I work in it, all the basement gets filled with dust. Since my computer and home theater system are right next to that room, I have to fix it!! (Electronics donít like dust!!!)

General idea
-------------------------------
I want to do something like what captivie (quebec company) are doing. Their viv are terrific. However it wasnít exactly what I wanted...

Basically, the uroVIVAstyx will look like their "Desertique" model, but will be 2-storey
Desertique from Captivie

I got the 2 storey idea from a uromastyx forum member...

- each level will have its space to "hide" the heat lamp and uv lamps.
- each level will have 2 small openings to allow air circulation
(If necessary, I might even use a small cpu fan to increase the air flow)
- I might use sterilized play-sand in some sections of the viv
- I havenít decided yet how Iíll divide the HOT/COLD section yet.
1 heat/cold section for each foor or cold section below and hot above??
Iíll have to do some testing when the viv is done to see what temp I get with different configuration...
- There will be some kind of "natural stone" looking stairs to go from the 1st to second floor.
- The viv will be used by 2 uros (buy at the same time, so theyíre already used to each others)
- Probably maliís. I would prefer Egyptians, but theyíll eventually grow too big for the viv. My goal is to keep the same viv for the rest of my (their) life.

If you have any recommendation, donít hesitate. Iím a complete newbie for lizard...

Iíll post a basic schematic soon. So you can give me feedback on how I should organize stuff.

PS:
Is there any automatic temp. system to turn on/off heat lamps/fans when the temps is reached??

03/29/07  11:11pm

Superbigjay
View Profile

Message To: Superbigjay   In reference to Message Id: 1227122

[copy/paste march 24th 2007]

To give you an idea of the 2-storey idea, hereís a magnificent cut n paste montage.

If you have any recommendations, ideas, concerns, donít hesitate. Iím a total newbie on this and Iím still on the drawing board...

03/29/07  11:17pm

Superbigjay
View Profile

Message To: Superbigjay   In reference to Message Id: 1227122

[copy paste march 25 2007]

Quote:

The only thing I have to do before building is to fix the basement door for my workshop. Right now, the door is not "dust" proof. So everytime I work in it, all the basement gets filled with dust. Since my computer and home theater system are right next to that room, I have to fix it!! (Electronics donít like dust!!!)

All right, I was able to find some time this weekend to install the new door (I even had time to do a little clean up of the work place...). With this, I should be able to work in the workshop without having dust everywhere

Iíll probably stop by the hardware store next week to get wood.

I will work on the viv plans this week and should post something this week so you can give me advices on how to set it up...

PS: I went to one of my favorite store this weekend (cantire) and got myself a new tool: A biscuit joiner... Iím planning to use it for my vivarium assembly. Maybe it will be usefull for the arcade cab assembly too...

ciao!

03/29/07  11:29pm

Superbigjay
View Profile

Message To: Superbigjay   In reference to Message Id: 1227142

All right, the cut n paste session is done!

Hereís the status of the project.

I spent the last night and this morning learning Google Sketchup. Itís a free, easy to learn (and time consuming) application that allow you to draw 3D models. Iím using it to help me design my vivarium and also have an idea of what it will look like.

Hereíre some snapshots...

** Right now, the model doesnít have the ramp access to go from the 1st to 2nd floor.

The caracteristics of the vivarium are:
- 2 storeys
- size between 48x18 up to 60x24. (Iíll have to check if the "big one fits").
- used for 2 uro (if possible)
- sliding glass doors in front
- 2 air vents on each floor (1 on each side). These are the grey area above and below the windows.
- automated temp regulation (if possible) to control cpu fan, heating devices...
- hiden space to hide completely or partially light fixture.
- home made rock wall
- home made rock ramp/stairs to access 2nd floor and basking sites

Now, this is where I need advices...
- Iím planning to have some sand area and some "ceramic". Is that OK?
- For the lighting/heating.
Where should I put UV light? both level? what kind/size?
How many heating lamps, where?
Do I need heating rocks/pads?
- how do you recommend I split the temp inside the viv?
(cold/hot spot available on both level or colder on the lower level and warmer on the higher level?)

I know these are a lot of question, but like I said, Iím a newbie

Now itís getting late... Iím going to bed...

03/30/07  12:02am

Skullkeeper
View Profile

Message To: Superbigjay   In reference to Message Id: 1227179

I know nothing about building cages but you might want to check out Shyboys fans in the post New Cage Finished since ventilation/ humidity maybe a problem .

03/30/07  07:54am

Superbigjay
View Profile

Message To: Skullkeeper   In reference to Message Id: 1227372

Hello,
I spent the last week on the arcade part of my project.
The next days will be for the vivarium part.

I went to Reno-Depot to get the base for my soon to be 2 storey vivarium.
I needed the base first, since the vivarium size is defined by it.

So I am proud to announce the vivarium size : W = 59 3/8"; D = 25 1/4"; H = 48"
(roughly 5wx2dx4h feet)

As for the temp regulation, I think I found a device that will allow me to monitor 3 temp zone and also control fans (to lower temp if it gets too hot). Along with a thermostat and a heat emitter (to rise temp if it gets too cold), I should be able to have stable temp zones on both levels.

The best part is it works, it will have a nice LCD to monitor the temp zones.

Iíll probably finish the plans tomorrow and get the wood on monday.
Canít wait to show some pics of the work in progress!!!

04/08/07  12:01am

HittoriHanzo
View Profile

Message To: Superbigjay   In reference to Message Id: 1237949

Canít wait to see how it turns out.
HH

04/08/07  04:48pm

Superbigjay
View Profile

Message To: HittoriHanzo   In reference to Message Id: 1238610

Quick "End of Weekend" update.

Well as planned, Iíve finished the plans for the viv and went to Reno-Depot this weekend to get all the wood I need for the project. I got:
- one 3/4 plywood 4x8 (maple laminate finish for all visible parts)
- two 5/8 plywodd 4x8 (pine select for bottom, middle floor and back)
- two 3/4 x 1 1/2 hard maple wood (8 feet long for side panels sides)

While I was there, I decided to make them cut the wood for me (no dust for me!!!).
At 1$ per cuts, its a 17$ well invested

I should start building this week...

Canít wait to post "work in progress" pics

04/09/07  11:22pm

Tonymontana
View Profile

Message To: Superbigjay   In reference to Message Id: 1240289

superbigJ if you are a newbie you are of superior intelligence like myself.If you think hard enuff you will find that theme holds much more power than you originally thought. However, I should warn you a lot of activity around that vivarium will turn out to be a BAD thing for about 99.99% of uromastyx. Some are outgoing, I find this rare in the pet trade, everyone says so however I have 1 thatís a PUPPY. The rest are not receptive to too much human interaction. If your living room is very low traffic and laid back, it may work,but it may not. Perhaps a "sandfire"beardies and change the accents to reddish-orange. Or if you are laid back as your name suggests it just may work. Mali will be better than Niger but i donít guarantee-mali should be easier. I am surprised no-one said anything.

04/10/07  07:19pm

Superbigjay
View Profile

Message To: Tonymontana   In reference to Message Id: 1241108

Thanks for the advices Montana!

Quote:

I should warn you a lot of activity around that vivarium will turn out to be a BAD thing for about 99.99% of uromastyx

The uroVIVAstyx will be located in the living room on the left side of the bay window (on top of the TV cabinet that is right next to Mika). The arcade will be located on the right side of the bay window (in the corner where the plant is, under the lizard lamp).

The living room is more like a relaxation spot or should I say, some sort of lounge. Usually there isnít much traffic in there. I guess this is due to the fact that when my ex-girlfriend left, she took all the furniture with her and I ended up with an empty living room for 6 months. So I got used to go in the basement where the home theater, Foosball, computer, xbox are. lol

Quote:

Perhaps a "sandfire"beardies and change the accents to reddish-orange

Hmmm, we thought of BD, but my girlfriend really like the fact that uros are almost 100% vegies. Since the "lounge room" is quiet enough, I think I should be fine.

Quote:

Mali will be better than Niger but i donít guarantee-mali should be easier. I am surprised no-one said anything

Mali were what we had in mind . Personally I would prefer an Egyptian, but theyíre too big for that size of vivarium...and the Mali are more colorful!

Thanks again for your comments Montana!
Jay

04/11/07  09:44am

Zenmetsu
View Profile

Message To: Superbigjay   In reference to Message Id: 1241741

looking good... :D i like the colors. i wish that i had some degree of skill, i would love to get something like that made with mahogany to match all the other furniture in my bedroom :D

egyptian WOULD be too big for that. right now i am trying to decide upon a new enclosure for my egyptian. on one side i really want to build something like what you have done... but there are problems. 1)i suck at woodworking and 2)i plan on moving again soon (in apartment) and i really do not want to build something that is not easily re-located.

the plus side is that i live in arizona. it is usually more than warm enough outside on my balcony to support a uro. I have a sliding glass door in my room leading out to the balcony (lower 3 feet enclosed and impossible for a uro to escape from). i was giving thought to making a tunnel of sorts from an open-top enclosure in my room to an enclosed section of the balcony (about 5íx8í). i am not too sure about the feasibility of such a design, but with natural sunlight heating up the outdoors part, i think i can save a good amount on my electrical usage :D will likely put a screen top over the outdoors part simply because i am overly paranoid about birds... :/

04/11/07  10:57am

Superbigjay
View Profile

Message To: Zenmetsu   In reference to Message Id: 1241813

Quote:

i am not too sure about the feasibility of such a design, but with natural sunlight heating up the outdoors part, i think i can save a good amount on my electrical usage :D will likely put a screen top over the outdoors part simply because i am overly paranoid about birds...

Zenmetsu, EVERYTHING is possible. I can already see your project taking form :
- secure the balcony
- install the "anti-bird" screen
- install a small pet door or some sort of tunnel to allow the uro in and out from its vivarium to ITS balconey... Forget the pet door, we should go for a small elevator that will take your egyptian from the window down to the balconey!!!

All right, Iím coming over to Arizona. Weíre gonna build this thing!!!

LOL!

The balconey access seems a great idea if you have the weather for it....

On my side, I have to get some clamps. Iíll start the side panels this weekend...
Iím taking the week to work on the arcade part of the project...

cheers!
Jay

04/11/07  08:16pm

Superbigjay
View Profile

Message To: Superbigjay   In reference to Message Id: 1242600

UroVIVAstyx : temp control solution

Iíve spent the last few day on the arcade part of the project...
uroMAMEstyx

As for the vivarium part, Iíve found my solution to control the temp inside the vivarium.
Iím gonna use a PC fan controller device. This device has 8 temp sensors. Each one can
control a fan when a specific threshold is reached.

Iím including an image of the 2 sides + front of the vivarium. for each level, there will be a fan on the lower part of the cold side to pull fresh air inside the vivarium and another one on the highest part of the hot side to force an air exchange in case the temps get too high. The fan controller will be installed on the front of the vivarium. It will be used to monitor the 8 temp zones

PS: the resolution is small, but you can see the 4 120mm fans + the fan controller.

I should start the viv building as soon as I get the fans + controller.
Maybe this weekend if Iím lucky...

more news later...

04/16/07  08:38pm

Superbigjay
View Profile

Message To: Superbigjay   In reference to Message Id: 1249379

UroVIVAstyx : need help for heat/lamp requirements!!!

Hello, hereís a morning update on the vivarium part of my project.
I havenít work on it for a week, since I was waiting for parts that were on order...

Yesterday, I received my fan controller. Itís a digitaldoc5.

This nifty device include 8 thermal probes (1 deg precision). For this model, 6 of them are ambient probes and 2 are for surface. Since my enclosure is 2 storey of 5x2 feet, I intend to use the probe like this for each floor:
- 1 air probe for hot side
- 1 air probe for cold side
- 1 air probe in the middle (optional)
- 1 surface probe for the basking site.

If this work, I wonít need any thermometers or temp gun...

Also, as a bonus, for each of these probes, you can assign a threshold that will start a 12V PC fan if the temp for that probe is exceeded.

If you want more info on this device, hereís a review of it:
DigitalDoc 5 review

The built will probably start next week as Iím still waiting for the Fans which Iím suppose to get next Monday.

===================================
!!! NEED HELP FOR HEAT/LAMP LAYOUT !!!
===================================
All right, since Iím a newbie, I could use your feedback here for the lamp layout...

This is my first floor plan trial, or should I say Ceiling plan

- Can you tell me what you think of it?
- Is that overkill? not enough?
- Since all heating device are resistive, do you think I could use a Dimmer to adjust
the heat if necessary?

PS:
for the dimmer question, if this works, the vivarium would be even more hi-tech...
You see, I have a bunch of X10 lamp dimmer. Each dimmer is rated for 500W
and theyíre programmable with a computer. Basically, you can set as many on/off + intensity level of any device, at any time. Itís very flexible!!

PPS:
And talking of Hi-Tech, the 4 PC fans Iíve ordered have green LEDs on it. But this might be a bit too flashy, So Iíll probably end up disconnecting the LEDs

Jay

04/20/07  09:48am

Superbigjay
View Profile

Message To: Superbigjay   In reference to Message Id: 1253285

UroVIVAstyx : got the fans and a helper...

All right, I just received my 120mm fans. Theyíre Antec 120mm Led fans.

On this picture, you see the Fan running (cameraís flash ON)

On this one, you see the same fan, but with the cameraís flash OFF. So you see how the fan looks with the LEDs. Iím not sure yet if Iíll leave the LEDís on of not.

So now I have everything to start the assembly, which should start this weekend...

Also, Iíve got an helper. You can see her on the next pic...

Ok, maybe not...
Itís Mika, my Dobe, doing what sheís bet at : taking a nap

So come on, if you have any suggestion, comment, concern, recommendation, fell free to post!!!

04/23/07  10:14pm

Superbigjay
View Profile

Message To: Superbigjay   In reference to Message Id: 1257318

UroVIVAstyx : construction will begin soon...

Quick update to let you know that the uroVIVAstyx project is still on.

Tonight Iíve tried my biscuit joiner to see how it works.
Geee I should have bought that tool a long time ago

Iíll check the results tomorrow on the "test piece".

The goal is to assemble the side panels by sunday night...

more news in the next days...

Cheers!!!

05/01/07  10:08pm

Superbigjay
View Profile

Message To: Superbigjay   In reference to Message Id: 1266533

UroVIVAstyx : side panel1 ready to assemble!

Hello everyone,
another late night update...

The joint test I did yesterday was a success!! A biscuit jointer is a must for any workshop...

It was the first time I was using a jointer. So after 10 minutes reading the manual, I was ready to go...

The jointer adjustments is relatively simple: you set the angle, set the height to half of the material thickness and based on the thickness of your material, you pick the right biscuit size. For 3/4" I took size #20.

Then, you mark on both pieces where you want to insert the joint. For my trial, I decided to make an 90deg assembly. Once marked, you start the jointer, align it and press it against to wood.

The last part, is the assembly. You fill the 2 slots and cover the biscuit with carpenter glue, insert the biscuit in the slots and press for a snug fit. Then you remove the glue surplus and clamp everything and let the glue dry

Once dry, the joint is really robust. Iíve tried to disassemble the joint by hand, and wasnít able to. PERFECT!!!

Tonight, Iíve routed all the slots required to assemble the first side panel (cold side, with the fan at the bottom)

Iíll probably route the second panel tomorrow and do the assembly Friday night.

Stay tune!!
Jay

05/03/07  12:15am

Superbigjay
View Profile

Message To: Superbigjay   In reference to Message Id: 1268128

UroVIVAstyx : side panel 1 and 2 assembled!

Hello,

late Saturday night update!!!

I finished the 2 side panels assembly today.

On pic #1, you can see the cold side panel glued and clamped.
All biscuit are installed and clamps are installed. Just have to wait a few hours for the glue to dry...

On pic #2, you see the hot side panel, Iíve installed 1 of the 2 fan to show how it will look like.

Note: on each level, there will be 2 fans. One on the cold side to pull air IN and 1 on the hot side to push air out. So there will be 4 fans total!! All controlled by the digitaldoc5.

The nest step will be to sand the glue residue...

So far so good....
Everything went as plan. No show stopper.
More news later!!!

PS:
for your information, these are the side panels. Their dimensions are 26W" x 48H" (roughly 2x4 feet).

PPS:
today was one of me best friend birthday! (may 5th). So happy BD Michel!!!

Jay

05/06/07  12:39am

ShanirasMom
View Profile

Message To: Superbigjay   In reference to Message Id: 1271557

UroVIVAstyx : side panel 1 and 2 assembled!

I’m very impressed with your workshop - I have friends who would be very jealous of your biscuit joiner. Keep us posted on your progress!

05/07/07  10:50pm

Superbigjay
View Profile

Message To: ShanirasMom   In reference to Message Id: 1273848

UroVIVAstyx : Mika wants a new home

Good morning everyone,

here the last progress of the uroVIVAstyx project...

Tuesday I did all the slots for the final assembly and ... well, thatís about it :(
It take a lot of time to take measurements an plan everything. Measure twice cut once...
In my case itís more measure 5 times, cut once and end up with 2 right panels...

But it seems I did everything right so far...

Last night, Iíve assembled the 2 front plates for the 2 floors.
Tonight I should assemble the 2 shelves to the back panel.
Friday night, Itís "quality time" with my girlfriend,
So the vivarium should be fully assembled Saturday.

Iím ordering all my stuff (bowl, rock background, lights) this weekend. A friend of mine is a supplier for Hagenís, so I can get good prices :)

Iím including a picture of my all time favorite Dobe Mika with my 2 shelves. It can give you an idea of how big this thing will be. I thinks she thinks thatís her new home ;-)

Cheers
Jay

05/10/07  10:24am

Superbigjay
View Profile

Message To: Superbigjay   In reference to Message Id: 1276654

UroVIVAstyx : Wood Assembly completed!!!

Hello everyone,

This is an update to let you know that the wood assembly of the uroVIVAstyx is completed!!! YEAH!

Here some pics to show the progression:

Hereís the middle shelf assembly. Iím using #20 biscuit + glue + clamps.

Lesson learned :
- You never have too many clamps...

Once assembled, you have to let it dry, since you donít have any clamps left !@#$

Lesson learned :
- Somehow, when using Cookies for joints, you always end up with glue everywhere...

Hereís the lower shelf assembly.

Lesson learned :
- When the glue start to harden, itís hard not to panic...

After that, I clamped the side panels to the shelves.

Lesson learned :
- Somehow, when using Cookies for joints, you always end up with glue everywhere...
Yeah, I know, itís the same lessons, but I was out of inspiration :)

Now, whatís next???
- I need to sand that thing to remove the glue and prepare the surface for stain/varnish.
- build the access ramp to go from 1st to 2nd floor
- Install all the electronics/electric stuff (lamp sockets, dimmers, fans, digitaldoc5, ...).
- Buy and install the glasses.
- Setup the enclosure (will be done by my girlfriend)

I bought 8 ceramics lamp socket today. These will be used for all lighting and heating devices.

Also, all my stuff from Hagens is ordered and I should get it Wednesday:
- 5 * 24"x24" rock background
- 1 * med water bowl (for food, higher than food bowl = good against sand)
- 2 * med caves
- 2 * basking lamps 100W/150W (controlled by a dimmer if necessary)
- 1 * ceramic heater 150W (controlled by a dimmer if necessary)
- 2 * reptiglo 10.0 26W compact fluorescent.

So thatís it for tonight, more news to come in the next few days...
Good night
Jay.

05/13/07  11:49pm

Superbigjay
View Profile

Message To: Superbigjay   In reference to Message Id: 1280689

UroVIVAstyx : Wood Assembly completed!!!

Quote:

Lesson learned :
Yeah, I know, itís the same lessons, but I was out of inspiration :)

Well this morning I had a flash about the uroVIVAstyx rev1.0 and what Iíve learned so far...
Man that thing is huge, I mean really huge!!! So I started to think who could help me to move this thing upstairs (my workshop is in the basement). Then, I was imagining myself with a friend trying to move it and.... Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

MY VIVARIUM IS 26x59x28 AND IT WONT PASS IN THE DOORWAY/STAIRWAY...

sh....t! How could I missed that one!!!

The way the stairs are built, they go down and the doorway is on the right. So thereís no way I can pass it through the doorway and make that 90deg turn... I even drew the doorway, stairs and uroVIVAstyx in visio and play with the vivarium to see if I could manage to get it through... NO LUCK!!!

So Lesson learned (because that one is important):
- when building something, make sure you are able to move it to its final destination :(

So after been pissed off for a while, Iíve moved on.

Time for rev2.

I thought of reusing some part of rev1.0, but decided to redo it from scratch. The main reason being that the solid oak used for the side panels didnít match the laminated oak plywood...

Iím still building it in my workshop, but this time, it will be in 2 part (upper/lower) of 59Lx25Wx24H.
These one will clear that turn!

So I went back to Reno-Depot (hardware store in Quebec), make them do the major cuts, paid another 100$ of wood, head back home, had diner (T-Bone on the BBQ Mmmmmm!), and back to work!

Tonight I did all the cuts and labeled all the pieces.

I did the groove for the biscuit for the hot side panels

and assembled the 2 hot side panels

I wanted to do more, but did had enough clamps...

Itís funny, doing all this was easy, like if it was the second time I did it...

Iíll probably assemble the 2 cold side panels tomorrow morning, the shelves to their front plate Wednesday and the whole thing Thursday, right in time with my Hagenís Stuff...

Good Night!
Jay

05/15/07  03:00am

Superbigjay
View Profile

Message To: Superbigjay   In reference to Message Id: 1281989

UroVIVAstyx : hot side panels are ready!

Morning update before going to work...

The 2 side panels (hot side) are ready. Hereís a picture of them in the uroVIVAstyx !@$!@% rev1.0 aka junk pile of wood!

This morning I routed all the slots for the biscuits on the 2 cold side panels and assembled the first panel out of 2. I couldnít assembled the second one because I was out of clamps!

See you later...

05/15/07  10:58am

HittoriHanzo
View Profile

Message To: Superbigjay   In reference to Message Id: 1282164

BigJ~
I was wondering if you had given any thought to designing the opening between the two levels as one that could partition them off if you ever wanted to, like a piece of wood or luan that laid flat on the top level underneath the substrate but could hinge, cover up the opening, and then be covered again with substrate. I could think of a million possibilities that youíd want to do this but mainly for versatility. Either way youíre doing an awesome job, much better than my first creation which my wife lovingly referred to as "the coffin" because I could lay down inside it (Iím quite a large fellow but it was larger). Maybe Iíll post pics if you ever get worried that youíre an amateur.
HH

05/15/07  12:31pm

Superbigjay
View Profile

Message To: HittoriHanzo   In reference to Message Id: 1282227

Quote:

I was wondering if you had given any thought to designing the opening between the two levels as one that could partition them off if you ever wanted to

Indeed, with the new design, I will be able to remove the ramp and close the opening if I ended up with 2 uros wanting to kill each other.

Quote:

...which my wife lovingly referred to as "the coffin" because I could lay down inside it ...

LOL... Yeah post a pic with you laying down in it :)

Thanks for the feedback HH!

Have a nice day!
Jay

05/15/07  02:15pm

HittoriHanzo
View Profile

Message To: Superbigjay   In reference to Message Id: 1282294

Fortunately for my dignity I didnít allow her to take pictures while I was inside sealing the seams. It was a rather crude design built around the glass which was re-purposed. It was a constant task maintaing temps and usually involved covering different amounts of the top with a breathable fabric. Just to give an idea those are 8" and 10" dome lamps and a dual 48" ballast light for UVB. The habitat easily extended a foot to a foot and a half on either side of the ballast light. It worked for long enough to make other arrangements and cost less than $80 most of that being the two 8íx4í pieces of malamine.
Once again good luck, canít wait to see how it turns out.
HH

05/15/07  03:06pm

Pukey Bear
View Profile

Message To: Superbigjay   In reference to Message Id: 1282164

Awesome work my man. You are as serious about your projects as I am....I thought I was alone. You have inspired me even more to further design my unfinished terrarium design. I think I will take your idea on the fan controller and get one for my terrarium also! I will show you pics when I get it. But for now, without the fan controller included, here are some pics of my drawings which I did by hand......now I am interested to use the Google Sketch program to continue the design. Itís people like you that I look for in these forums to learn from and become motivated by. Thanks for sharing your experience and ideas. I can appreciate what you are doing because most people on this website donít decorate their enclosures very well and donít have anything unique or different to share with their enclosures. They always leave their enclosures so bare with wood shelves unhidden, showing hardware and just not very natural. I hope you finish your excellent work with a good approach to decorating the enclosure....unlike many on this website. We have similar ambitions for an excellent cage design....but in addition, I have water requirements for my water dragons, so my enclosure will be much like your design except it will incorporate a big section for water. You would be someone I would want to hear from the most for any advise or comments about my designs and ideas, so let me know what you think of mine as well.

05/15/07  03:16pm

Superbigjay
View Profile

Message To: Pukey Bear   In reference to Message Id: 1282350

I Love the design Pukey Bear,
very impressive.

Canít really give you advice on on to setup the enclosure (newbie!), but it seems you already have everything under control. That water tank seems inviting. you should add a waterfall :)

Iíll let you know how the fan control ends up...
If you have any question on parts Iím using in the uroVIVAstyx, let me know. Iíll be more than happy to answer them.

Jay

05/15/07  07:01pm
Pages 1 2 3 Next

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area