Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Uromastyx Forum

Leokeeper   Butters   Leokeeper   Leokeeper   Butters   Dragon Lady   Leokeeper   Lizardlover 113   Rcb   Reptileking14  
 Member  Message

Leokeeper
View Profile

What do Mali Uromastyx’s eat?

Hello, I am wondering what Mali Uromastyx’s eat.... because my locale pet store has two seemingly adults in and they only have bird seeds in there food dish... they also seem to be sunken in on there sides... possibly from not eating(?), they are both in a 20 gallon long tank together.... and are believed to be male and female... and to top it all off they are kept on sand! I couldn’t believe they would treat them so badly poor little guys... I want to rescue them but I can only maybe do that in 10 days ...... I hope they are gone to a good home by then but if not I will pay the 275$(Canadian funds) for them both..... hopefully my dad will chip in.... if I an convince him it’s like an early birthday present.... I don’t know much about these guys but I can learn a whole lot in the ten days waiting to go get them... if their still there, thanks in advance everyone... if you can give me any site links also It would be very helpful.

10/26/04  7:50pm
Sorry, No Replies

Butters
View Profile

Message To: Leokeeper   In reference to Message Id: 170651

well kinda off topic but ive seen a few Christmas decorations in the area so maybe you could talk your dad into early birthday/Xmas gift. also maybe it was just luck but when i bought 2 reptiles from a local petstore i talked the owner in to taking $20 off the pair. and for food i have read that endive dandelion greens bok choy are good foods. my guys love hibiscus flowers. but im not sure if you can find those as easy in Canada.

10/26/04  8:08pm
Sorry, No Replies

Leokeeper
View Profile

Message To: Butters   In reference to Message Id: 170672

Thank you very much.,... do you think the sunken in sides are from them not eating?

10/26/04  8:23pm
Sorry, No Replies

Leokeeper
View Profile

He,y I am going to talk to my mum and see if theres a possiblity of me getting them now and paying her back....... I hope it works out because I really hate seeing animals misstreated and want to get them out of there right now.... so far I know they need a 40 gallon tank for one and that they eat mainly what green iguanas eat... which is good because I have two juvinale green iguanas:D, I know that they CAN eat crickets & worms but as with the iguanas they should be fed these because it risks them having problems with there kidneys and liver, that they need a basking temp of 100/110 f and that they need uvb lighting.... am I off to a good start? this is about what I knew the first day I got my first iguana but now I know ALOT more lol.

10/26/04  8:37pm
Sorry, No Replies

Butters
View Profile

Message To: Leokeeper   In reference to Message Id: 170706

im not sure how big the guys are that you are looking at but 40 gal may be a little(or alot) cramped.its not hard to make your own cage if you can.you should treat insects like treats so dont give alot of them. offer plenty of fresh greens since they get most of the water they need from it(not spinich or iceberg)i have been told to give each animal a hide spot if living in the same tank but 1 has worked for me.im not sure about supplements.i have only been at this forum for a couple of days now and after reading i have no doubt that there are other members here that are 100 times more informed then me.

10/26/04  9:05pm
Sorry, No Replies

Dragon Lady
View Profile

Message To: Butters   In reference to Message Id: 170729

Here is a good site to go to www.deerfernfarms.com

10/26/04  10:25pm
Sorry, No Replies

Leokeeper
View Profile

Message To: Dragon   In reference to Message Id: 170792

Thanks everyone.

10/29/04  12:08am
Sorry, No Replies

Lizardlover 113
View Profile

mustard greens and carotts vegtables avoid ice berg lettuce. And a few crickets a week should do it

11/07/04  1:20pm
Sorry, No Replies

Rcb
View Profile

Message To: Lizardlover   In reference to Message Id: 176799

50% of their diet is mixed thawed veggies the other part of their diet is greens. If you feed crixs every week your uro will develop kidney problems. the most you should feed crixs is 1 maybe two a month. The temps should be 90F to 100F on the warm side, 110F to 120F on the basking rock and in the 80s on the cool side. night time temps can drop to the 60s. Do not put water in their cage as this creates moisture and evan low amounts of moisture can cause respitory disease. They get all there water from there greens. A 40 gallon tank (long) is fine for one adult. For two you will need a 60 gallon, thats minimum. Getting the temps they need can be extremely difficult if you live in cold areas. I had trouble setting up the temps and I live in southern california.

Make sure these are CBS or well acclimated imports.Chances are if the pet shop was giving them improper care they did not acclimate them. unacclimated uros can be agressive, skidish and full of parasites and diease thar could easily spread to your iguanas or other reptiles.

The thing about their skin being saggy is perfectly normal. You can tell if there healthy by if their tails and hips are thick and if their skin is bright. For more info go to www.deerfernfarms.com. If you really want a uro buy it from this site. doug will send you a gurenteed healthy CB uromastyx. Don’t buy them from a pet shop which probely hasen’t acclimated them and they will most likely die regardless of how well you take care of them and cost you a lot of money in vet bills. Just my opimion.

11/07/04  3:03pm
Sorry, No Replies

Reptileking14
View Profile

Message To: Rcb   In reference to Message Id: 176867

i also feed mine some blue berrys and apples once and a while.

11/09/04  8:42am
Sorry, No Replies

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area