Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Uromastyx Forum

Tydyefreak1212   Delightedly   MissAnne2u   Tydyefreak1212   Tydyefreak1212   Delightedly   Tydyefreak1212   MissAnne2u   Tydyefreak1212  
 Member  Message

Tydyefreak1212
View Profile

Whats the right type of bedding?

Ive been using sand for my older uro but is there something else? what would be the best thing to use? i need help please. i thought maybe bird seed or something round im not sure what its called.

05/23/08  11:37pm

Delightedly
View Profile

Message To: Tydyefreak1212   In reference to Message Id: 1744608

You’re talking about millet.... but for your baby one you should only be using paper towels.

Do NOT use calci-sand. Washed play sand only.

I must say, however, from the looks of them... i think substrate is the least of your problems. Please copy the questions from the "PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING" thread and answer them so we can get to work at making your uro healthy.

05/23/08  11:39pm

MissAnne2u
View Profile

Message To: Delightedly   In reference to Message Id: 1744611

I have to agree, if your Uro is under 7", he/she should be on papertowels and then moved to washed play sand or white millet seeds.

I would also have to agree that you need to answer the questions on the "READ BEFORE POSTING" thread, those Uro’s look awfully thin and lathargic.

05/23/08  11:51pm

Tydyefreak1212
View Profile

Message To: Delightedly   In reference to Message Id: 1744611

i just got my baby and i dont have him in sand but my big guy is growing fine what do you think is wrong with him? his very active and goes to the bathroom about 2 to 3 times a week. eats every day and only gets crickets once in a while. i think hes healthy if you see something i dont please tell me

05/23/08  11:52pm

Tydyefreak1212
View Profile

Message To: Tydyefreak1212   In reference to Message Id: 1744627

the big guy is about 13 inchs long and those pictures are old hes not thin at all

05/23/08  11:54pm

Delightedly
View Profile

Message To: Tydyefreak1212   In reference to Message Id: 1744631

If you love your uros you’ll prove it to us by making sure that he’s okay. Answer the questions and tell us about his care.

05/24/08  12:10am

Tydyefreak1212
View Profile

Message To: Tydyefreak1212   In reference to Message Id: 1744631

1) How long have you owned the animal – 6 months

2) Dimensions of the enclosure you are using. Measure it- do not guess or give gallon size -55 gallon

3) Species (if known), length, and weight of the animal – mali 13 inches

4) Listing of all animals kept in the enclosure referred to in the post – only franky

5) Basking spot temperature and how that temperature was measured – 100 degrees thermoiter

6) Temperature throughout the rest of the enclosure (warm and cool areas) and how these temperatures were measured e.g. digital thermometer, stick on dial thermometer. Provide the nighttime temperatures as well. – cool spot about 80 warm about 90

7) Acknowledge whether you are using a UVB bulb and if so, the brand, age of bulb, and distance from the bulb to the uromastyx - uvb I don’t know brand, 1 month old, 7 to 8 inches away

8) Diet items being fed and how often each item is fed – collard greens, peas, carrots, sometimes corn

9) List of the supplements being used, how much is used, and how often the supplement is used – vitamins used 1 to 2 times weekly

10) Type of substrate (cage bottom material). If this is sand, state whether it is calcium sand – sand sadly to say calcium

11) Describe your animal’s daily routine. When it exits the hide, when it retreats for the night, how long it is usually out throughout the day, is it active during this time, how much time does it spend sitting on the basking spot…. About 9 am and retreats about 8 pm. Very active . spends about 4 to 5 hours basking

12) Describe your animal’s appetite. Loves his peas and collard greens doesn’t like anything I try to get him

13) Describe any unusual behaviors you are seeing or any recent changes in behavior. Also note whether any recent modifications have been made to this animal’s environment. e.g new enclosure, move to another room, new heat bulb.... – I just moved to my moms but his cage never changed and he has moved before and ate normally

14) Describe how often this animal is handled and the type of handling. Twice a day

15) State whether the animal has been to a vet, when that was, and whether the animal was diagnosed with a medical condition. Also state whether the uromastyx has ever had a fecal check. If so states when the fecal check was done, what was found, and if medication was prescribed.- went to the vet no medical problems never had a fecal check

i have the answers right there for anyone to look at im new at this site and want anyone to tell me their opinions. oh and my 2 uros ARE in different cages because of the age and size difference

05/24/08  12:12am

MissAnne2u
View Profile

Message To: Tydyefreak1212   In reference to Message Id: 1744646

First of all ... I am not an EXPERT what so ever, but I can offer you some advice ...

Quote:

2) Dimensions of the enclosure you are using. Measure it- do not guess or give gallon size -55 gallon

Measure the tank ... it is highly recommended that you have a 48" x 24" x 24" at minimum for each Uro.

Quote:

5) Basking spot temperature and how that temperature was measured – 100 degrees thermoiter

This is WAY too Cold. Basking temps should bo 120-130 degrees and measured with an IR Temp Gun ($20 at wal mart or radio shack). YOu might also want to invest in some digital thermometers that measure humidity too. The stick on or dial thermometers can be very inaccurate with temps.

Quote:

6) Temperature throughout the rest of the enclosure (warm and cool areas) and how these temperatures were measured e.g. digital thermometer, stick on dial thermometer. Provide the nighttime temperatures as well. – cool spot about 80 warm about 90

Ideal temps should really be:
Warm end = 95-100 Degrees
Cool end = 80 degrees
Nighttime = Not lower than 70 degrees (I keep mine around 78)

Quote:

7) Acknowledge whether you are using a UVB bulb and if so, the brand, age of bulb, and distance from the bulb to the uromastyx - uvb I don’t know brand, 1 month old, 7 to 8 inches away

UVB bulb should be no more than 12" from the substrate. Too close can burn them and too far away won’t get them the UVB they need. I have found that Mega-Ray MVB (produces heat and UVB) and Repti-Sun 10 with a good basking bulb are good and recommended by others.

Quote:

8) Diet items being fed and how often each item is fed – collard greens, peas, carrots, sometimes corn

Staple food items should be: Endive, Escrole and spring mix. Bok Choy, orange, red or yellow peppers, grated squash or zuchinni and non pesticide flowers can be given every few days. Also some beans are okay but I believe that Kidney Beans are bad for them.

Quote:

10) Type of substrate (cage bottom material). If this is sand, state whether it is calcium sand – sand sadly to say calcium

PLEASE Remove the Calcium Sand Immediately !! It can kill them if ingested. If Uro is under 7" it should be on papertowels, if over 7", washed play sand or millet seed.

Quote:

14) Describe how often this animal is handled and the type of handling. Twice a day

This is of great debate here. Most will tell you that Uro’s are an "Observation" pet and should only be handled when it comes time to clean the enclosure or for vet visits, of which I am in agreement with. Excessive handling I believe can really stress them out.

I hope you have found some of this information helpful. And please understand, we are not bashing you, we are concerned for the well-being of your Uro’s. The pics that you posted show them as very skinny and not healthy looking at all.

05/24/08  12:39am

Tydyefreak1212
View Profile

Message To: MissAnne2u   In reference to Message Id: 1744668

thank you for your advice im getting rid of the calcium sand tomarrow when i get my check and ill be sure to try different things in his food. i really appreicate the help from everyone thank you sooooo much

05/24/08  10:40am

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area