Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Uromastyx Forum

Keeper of silver   Skullkeeper   UROKEEPER   Keeper of silver   Keeper of silver   Doublemom   Skullkeeper   MissAnne2u   Skullkeeper   Keeper of silver   UROKEEPER   MissAnne2u  
 Member  Message

Keeper of silver
View Profile

Question about Pool filter sand

I wanted to change from play sand to pool filter sand. The lady at the supply store asked me why because it is poisonous. It is 20% or more silica which is a proven cause of cancer. I just wanted to eleminate some of the dust...But I sure don’t see the reasoning behind using a poisin product. CAN ANYONE EXPLAIN??

11/12/08  03:55am

Skullkeeper
View Profile

Message To: Keeper of silver   In reference to Message Id: 1897232

I use washed sifted play sand but others on this site have recommened the pool filter sand since it is finer . I was not aware that it contained any toxins . If that is the case I would not take the chance and use it .

11/12/08  05:00am

UROKEEPER
View Profile

Message To: Skullkeeper   In reference to Message Id: 1897235

this is interesting everyone should research this b/c alot of people use it, I’d hate for anything bad to happen.

11/12/08  07:15am

Keeper of silver
View Profile

Message To: Skullkeeper   In reference to Message Id: 1897235

Thanks, I’m glad other people can see my concern. I’m going to stick with the playsand, dusty as it may be. One more thing. Do you wash and sift it yourself or does it come that way? I just used it straight from the bag but recently sifted it and am happy with the results. Should I be washing it also?

11/12/08  02:51pm

Keeper of silver
View Profile

Message To: UROKEEPER   In reference to Message Id: 1897264

I questioned the lady a lot! Like there different kinds, do they all have the silica in them. why they have it in there. It would be a great thing to look into. I don’t trust it without a good explaination.

11/12/08  02:55pm

Doublemom
View Profile

Message To: Keeper of silver   In reference to Message Id: 1897439

This is from Wikipedia on “Sand” and “Silica”:
The most common constituent of sand, in inland continental settings and non-tropical coastal settings, is silica (silicon dioxide, or SiO2), usually in the form of quartz, which, because of its chemical inertness and considerable hardness, is resistant to weathering.

But… Bags of silica sand used for sandblasting now carry labels warning the user to wear respiratory protection and avoid breathing the fine silica dust. There have been a number of lawsuits in recent years where workers have developed silicosis, a lung disease caused by inhalation of fine silica particles over long periods of time. Material safety data sheets (MSDS) for silica sand state that "excessive inhalation of crystalline silica is a serious health concern".

In respects other than inhalation, pure silicon dioxide is inert and harmless.
Pure silicon dioxide produces no fumes and is insoluble in vivo. It is indigestible, with zero nutritional value and zero toxicity. When silica is ingested orally, it passes unchanged through the gastrointestinal tract, exiting in the feces, leaving no trace behind.

So....
If you look up “sand”, “silica”, etc. on the Internet, you will find hundreds of articles with information on different types of sand, toxicity, etc. Basically, from what I’ve read, it isn’t the silica (quartz) sand particles themselves that are carcinogenic, but the DUST from the silica sand, the tiny inhalable dust, that can cause lung problems and irritation. A good example of this would be people who work in sandblasting who breathe in the fine dust all day long.

The pool filter sand that I’ve used for my Uros has been SO clean and dust-free it’s amazing compared to regular play sand that I’ve gotten at Toys’R’Us or home improvement stores. I can pour a bucket of dry pool filter sand out and there is not even a small wisp of dust, but the regular play sand when poured sends up a huge cloud of dust. I don’t know if this helps anyone or not, just my .02 cents worth. If it is actually the silica DUST that is toxic, then I’m sticking with the much cleaner pool filter sand.

Everyone needs to research and make their own educated choice on what substrate to use.

11/12/08  04:00pm

Skullkeeper
View Profile

Message To: Doublemom   In reference to Message Id: 1897472

Doublemom- great info.Have you read anything about the toxicity if it is ingested ?

11/12/08  05:15pm

MissAnne2u
View Profile

Message To: Skullkeeper   In reference to Message Id: 1897524

AWESOME INFO DOUBLEMOM !!! I also use Pool Filter Sand (for about 4 months) and love it. It’s dust free, rock free and clean as can be.

Quote:

It is indigestible, with zero nutritional value and zero toxicity. When silica is ingested orally, it passes unchanged through the gastrointestinal tract, exiting in the feces, leaving no trace behind.

hmmmmm wonder if this also applies to animals..

11/12/08  11:54pm

Skullkeeper
View Profile

Message To: MissAnne2u   In reference to Message Id: 1897771

Sorry Doublemom. I don’t know how I missed that .Thanks Miss Anne2U

11/13/08  06:18am

Keeper of silver
View Profile

Message To: Doublemom   In reference to Message Id: 1897472

Thank you so much for looking into this and sharing it with us. I would be interested to know how many on our board use silica sand but more importantly FOR HOW LONG and HAVE THEY HAD ANY PROBLEMS WITH IT . Every time I clean the poor guys cage out I fear he is going to have his nose and eyes all plugged up because of the dust storm.

11/14/08  02:43am

UROKEEPER
View Profile

Message To: Keeper of silver   In reference to Message Id: 1898261

Quote:

Every time I clean the poor guys cage out I fear he is going to have his nose and eyes all plugged up because of the dust storm.

you should be removing him from the enclosure when cleaning. maybe you should find a less dusty sand.

11/14/08  07:56am

MissAnne2u
View Profile

Message To: Keeper of silver   In reference to Message Id: 1898261

The only two people I know definately use Pool Filter sand are myself and Doublemom ... She actually got me turned on to it. Seriously, I love this stuff, very easy to clean, no dust, no rocks or pebbles and my Uros love digging around it. Most of my enclosure is only 1/4" thick on the sand, but one end under one of the hides its about 1" deep so they can dig around.

I’ve used Millet seeds, they ate too much of it and didn’t eat their greens ... I’ve tried the washed/sifted play sand from Home Depot ... it turned my uros GREY, was very dusty and full of small rocks and pebbles and to be honest with you ... it sucked !

Just my personal opinion :)

11/15/08  09:55am

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area