Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Uromastyx Forum

Rose of Jericho   Rose of Jericho   Baron2628   Rose of Jericho   Rose of Jericho   Baron2628   Ejammer   Foghukaup   Sahara99   Rose of Jericho   Wild_life10   Rose of Jericho   Obi Carl Kenobi  
 Member  Message

Rose of Jericho
View Profile

[OT] My uromastyx artwork

Well now. I’ve been posting a lot of non-helpful but probably fairly interesting uromastyx-related stuff recently; sorry for it, but I’m suffering a period of weariness regarding the UroWiki and helping new and inexperienced keepers. Hopefully my enthusiasm will return soon.

In the meantime, as those of you who’ve been following my on Facebook already know, I’ve been dabbling in charcoal-based art, and now, for my uromastyx-loving compatriots, I bring a slight departure into realms anew. Bow before our wise reptilian overlords!

Some odd shading - I wanted the shadow to give some three-dimensionality to the piece, and wasn’t sure whether or not to blend it into the surrounding black. I left it out, and am starting to regret doing so. Also yes, I’m aware that the shadows blend in the wrong directions - I might redraw it at some point, or try another different one. What do you guys think?

(Before somebody asks, it’s based on u. maliensis as opposed to my favourite u. ocellata, because the style and colouration of the former lends itself better to charcoal, while I might attempt the latter in coloured pencil.)

Enough nattering, here’s the picture:

11/06/10  04:37pm

Rose of Jericho
View Profile

Message To: Rose of Jericho   In reference to Message Id: 2186033

Bah, it looks like it’s lifting its tail to have a poo. Curse those bad shadows.

11/06/10  04:50pm

Baron2628
View Profile

Message To: Rose of Jericho   In reference to Message Id: 2186035

That looks great! I am working on an art degree, so I love seeing art of all kinds. I love this! Do you have others?

11/06/10  09:28pm

Rose of Jericho
View Profile

Message To: Baron2628   In reference to Message Id: 2186076

Other art of uromastyx? No. Other charcoal sketches? Yes. I have absolutely no artistic training whatsoever. I simply pick up a piece and draw whatever. My website is here: Oxide, and you can see a few of my original ink line sketches for them here: sketches.jpg (note that the ink sketches are rough because they aren’t supposed to be art, just guidance - that said, some of them came out much better than the final charcoal pieces, bottom left in particular).

11/07/10  01:22am

Rose of Jericho
View Profile

Message To: Rose of Jericho   In reference to Message Id: 2186120

Er, I meant bottom right. Bah. Can’t type today.

11/07/10  02:49am

Baron2628
View Profile

Message To: Rose of Jericho   In reference to Message Id: 2186125

Thanks for sharing! You have a great style. If you ever did do some art training, you would do great! That’s what is so great about art, it is never the same. What one person may not appreciate, the next would go ga-ga over it.

11/07/10  09:56am

Ejammer
View Profile

A bit of Picasso I think! A touch more abstract and you got yourself an interesting subject

11/07/10  10:45am

Foghukaup
View Profile

Thanks for posting! I think more creative tangents are exactly what this forum needs. After all the accurate advice, it’s nice to find and share inspiration. I’m also an artist/musician and I wonder how many others here are too. Perhaps we should start an art thread for us to share our uro or non-uro art. Do you feel me?

11/07/10  12:29pm

Sahara99
View Profile

Message To: Foghukaup   In reference to Message Id: 2186171

My Uro makes art every time she poos and swishes her tail in it. Wish she wouldn’t. Yes, your painting looks like a Uro lifting its tail to make a poo. Good drawing.

Paul

11/07/10  01:50pm

Rose of Jericho
View Profile

Message To: Sahara99   In reference to Message Id: 2186180

... I’m just going to pretend that was my aim all along, and call it "artistic license"

11/07/10  01:58pm

Wild_life10
View Profile

Message To: Rose of Jericho   In reference to Message Id: 2186183

looks good to me.

11/07/10  06:44pm

Rose of Jericho
View Profile

Message To: Wild_life10   In reference to Message Id: 2186224

Foghukaup and Baron2628, if you like my work and are interested in trying your hand at charcoal, you might be interested in a little project I’m currently working on. You’ll get one part per day for most of the remainder of this month.

The secret to charcoal? Knowing how and when to blur. It’s all about shades of grey versus solid black or pure white, about vague areas against sharp lines. I demonstrate the whole range in this series.

Here’s a Link - keep checking back for subsequent parts (15 in total). I look forward to seeing your own charcoal sketching, and hopefully I’ll try getting another uromastyx or two done sometime soon too.

11/13/10  04:17pm

Obi Carl Kenobi
View Profile

Message To: Rose of Jericho   In reference to Message Id: 2187304

Nice work Rose! i also like art and used to do alot of drawing (im more of a pencil guy though) funnily enough though iv’e drawn my chameleon once but never drawn a uro.

11/14/10  05:22am

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area