Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Uromastyx Forum

Krissy11689   Boabab95   Wild_life10   Jbreddawg   Boabab95   Krissy11689   Krissy11689   Perfectiionezz   Rose of Jericho   Wild_life10   Breezie5353  
 Member  Message

Krissy11689
View Profile

What CAN’T my mali uromastyx eat?

I have had my lizard for nearly 9 years now, and have learned that spinach, beet greens, Swiss chard, and cabbage are deffinately something that i should be giving her. I also know to limit the brocoli and cricket intake, but i was wondering if there is anything else that is life threatening or just not good to give her.

I also have a bearded dragon with her so i’m just trying to find different foods that i can give the both of them.

Your responce would be greatly appreciated.

12/04/10  07:49pm

Boabab95
View Profile

Message To: Krissy11689   In reference to Message Id: 2190984

WELL...

Quote:

I also have a bearded dragon with her so i’m just trying to find different foods that i can give the both of them.

NO NO NO NO NOOOO!!!! Uromastyx should NEVER be housed with beardies, let alone (USUALLY) other uromastyx. your Uromastyx should be in a 4 FOOT X 2 FOOT X 2 FOOT cage, BY IT’S SELF!!!

Quote:

I also know to limit the brocoli and cricket intake,

broccoli should rarely be fed, if ever, but Uromastyx are vegan and should NEVER be fed crickets... EVER..

Quote:

and have learned that spinach, beet greens, Swiss chard, and cabbage are deffinately something that i should be giving her

uhh... no. the staple diet should consist of Endive, Escarole, and Dandelion greens...spinach should only be fed rarely (if ever) and I’m pretty sure beets, cabbage, and swiss chard are i BIG NO.

Please visit the Urowiki for any and all Uromastyx Care info. PLEASE!!!!!

12/04/10  08:41pm

Wild_life10
View Profile

me oh my.
what you are currently feeding her is life threatening.
crickets are a definate no no.

you should never have a uro and a bearded dragon in together. they may get along, but there are many reasons not to do this. they are completely different from each other, require completely different set ups, heat, diets, care, enclosures, ect...

i would split them up. uro heat 90-100 hot end, 85ish cold end and 130 basking temp. min tank size 4x2x2, no insects at all, ever. feed her escarole, curly endive (chickory), dandilion greens.

a good place to start for you i think would be urowiki

good luck

12/04/10  08:50pm

Jbreddawg
View Profile

12/04/10  10:59pm

Boabab95
View Profile

Message To: Jbreddawg   In reference to Message Id: 2191022

Quote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12/04/10  11:32pm

Krissy11689
View Profile

Message To: Wild_life10   In reference to Message Id: 2190997

I said that I do not feed those things.
I have thermometers -basking around 110-115 for the uro his side is around 85- bearded dragons side is around 75 and its about 85-95 where he basks; both basking lights towards the middle of the tank.
I have had both for 7-9 years and both look act and function as if they are healthy...

I was just wondering what other greens would be bad (other than the ones i have posted)
I have had them so long that I would like to give them something different.

I have also done quite a bit of research about uro’s and crickets; although protein is not good for the kidneys one or two crickets a month will not hurt.

12/05/10  01:03am

Krissy11689
View Profile

I meant
**something that I should deffinately NOT be giving her**
LEFT OUT THE NOT! SORRY
I do not feed those things. =)
I have thermometers -basking around 110-115 for the uro his side is around 85- bearded dragons side is around 75 and its about 85-95 where he basks; both basking lights towards the middle of the tank.
I have had both for 7-9 years and both look act and function as if they are healthy...

I was just wondering what other greens would be bad (other than the ones i had posted)
I have had them so long that I would like to give them something different.

I have also done quite a bit of research about uro’s and crickets; although protein is not good for the kidneys one or two crickets a month will not hurt.

12/05/10  01:09am

Perfectiionezz
View Profile

Message To: Krissy11689   In reference to Message Id: 2191039

Quote:

krissy11689

yes it will hurt, and are is your bearded dragon and uro in the same enclosure?

12/05/10  01:32am

Rose of Jericho
View Profile

Message To: Perfectiionezz   In reference to Message Id: 2191041

UroWiki - List of Food - What not to feed

12/05/10  02:55am

Wild_life10
View Profile

Message To: Krissy11689   In reference to Message Id: 2191039

Quote:

**something that I should deffinately NOT be giving her**
LEFT OUT THE NOT! SORRY

ok, this is better.
i still have to stand by the rest of my comments thou. even thou they:

Quote:

both look, act and function as if they are healthy...

they probly are not. the tank you have is not capable of housing them together properly. my tank is 8ft long, 4ft wide.... if i tried, im sure that there is enough room there to get something that might work for both species, but agian, you should not mix the species.

no matter what you’ve read or think, insects are bad for adult uro’s. i’ve heard that some will feed a few worms or so to baby hatchlings, but they is so much research indicating why not to that i would avoid it all together. if lighting, heat, enclosure and practices are all done properly.... you should not need insects.

read up on the wiki, and ask more questions if you have some, but understand that adviced which is offered needs to be listened to and applied or else there is no reason for you to ask it or us to reply to it.

cheers

12/05/10  04:05pm

Breezie5353
View Profile

Message To: Wild_life10   In reference to Message Id: 2191148

crickets + uros = DEATH! i dont care if its only one or two a month, or every now and them. whatever. they will kill your uro and you are doing her no favors by giving them to her. a uro eating bugs is a dead uro.

12/08/10  12:41pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area