Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

SmogHouse   Vers   SmogHouse   Sahara99   Winkpw   SmogHouse   Benedita  

Member  Message

SmogHouse
View Profile

My Uro hates me

Hello all, this is my first post. I bought my uro about 4 years ago from a pet store that was closing. They had this poor guy in the back, he was very skinny, could see all his bones though his skin. I bought him so I could give him a good home. He was wild caught, and I hate that, but I don’t have any flights to the Sahara scheduled anytime soon, and I’m pretty sure reintroducing him now is a ridiculous concept, so I am just trying to give him a nice healthy, calm relaxing home to make up for what we humans have done to him already. I got him home and he seemed to recover. He’s quite fat now, and a beautiful fluorescent orange, but he hates me. Every time I come near the tank he scatters into a hole, so he doesn’t even let me open his tank to put my hands in to let him get used to me. You can see when I’m working in my room, he’s always watching me like I’m going to eat him or something. When i first got him I could sometimes feed him by hand, but now he is terrified of humans completely. I am afraid I am not making him feel safe. Any tips besides putting my hands in the tank to let him smell/get used to me? Should I pick him up if he totally objects to it so he can know he hands dont hurt him?

02/02/12  06:36pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: SmogHouse   In reference to Message Id: 2253743

My Uro hates me

The most obvious issue is tank access--this is one of the largest problems with an open top tank. In the wild a lot of animals that prey on uromastyx are birds, which as I’m sure you are aware hunt from above. This means every time your arm enters the enclosure from above you are essentially replicating a hunting tactic, which in turn triggers a natural hardwired response within the uro to hide. You could attempt to aclimate the uro to your presence but generally speakersng the older the individual is the more difficult that process will be. That’s not to say its not possible, just be prepared to spend time doing so. Patience is key, the first step is just letting the uro be aware of your presence, then stepping it up gradually to standing or sitting closer to the enclosure, then moving slowly about in front of the enclosure. After it’s accustomed to this you can begin offering treats, like flowers, every now and then, just dropping them in the dish without having your arm in the tank, watching him eat it. Once you gain trust doing this you can move on to offering treats by hand or tongs, keeping it as low to the enclosure floor as possible. Hopefully it will start taking them from you without hesitation. This process could take a while and you may not ever be successful in fully aclimating it. Also only place fresh food items in the tank while its asleep for now and avoid any unnecessary access.

On another note, how do you have the tank set up? Could you post an image?

02/02/12  08:01pm

SmogHouse
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2253750

My Uro hates me

My camera is broken but I’ll see about using a friends. My tank is 4ft x 1.5ft, kinda small I guess but he has many hiding spots that he can climb on increasing his effective floor space. It is top entrance, I knew this was an issue, when I do put my hands in I make sure to go to the very opposite end and stay low to the ground, although my hands resemble snakes like this). I have the proper uva&b + actual sun in the day with my rooms skylight. He’s perfectly healthy as far as I can tell, he spins in his rocks and digs in a thick layer of sand(cleaned calcium free) Half of his tank is a large slab of slate held off the ground extremely securely so he can hide under it. The other side is thick sand with a rock ramp he can climb on and in, with another little reptile hut that is large enough for him to crawl on.

02/02/12  08:23pm

Sahara99
View Profile

Message To: SmogHouse   In reference to Message Id: 2253756

My Uro hates me

Previous poster was right about open top tanks. Get a cage with front doors so you can approach him on his level. How would you like a "giant" looming over you?

Paul

02/07/12  11:39am

Winkpw
View Profile

Message To: Sahara99   In reference to Message Id: 2254372

My Uro hates me

I have been a long time member of these forums, though been dormant for awhile. Hello!

Please keep in mind Uromastyx are not sociable animals, they are more of the ’lets watch from outside the glass’ type of animal, much like a chameleon. Being frequently picked up by humans is stressful for them, they aren’t like Bearded’s and get used to such behavior.

02/07/12  06:09pm

SmogHouse
View Profile

Message To: Winkpw   In reference to Message Id: 2254429

My Uro hates me

I don’t want my uro to like getting picked up, that’s a fantasy. I would just like him to be a little less stressed by having people in the same room as him. I only bought him so I could give him a nice habitat to live in and not be man handled like 90% of the reptile community likes to impose on their animals. Basically the real issue is
1. He is really stressed when I approach his tank to turn off his light, scattering into his hole, too much stress on a reptile daily
2. He hides when i feed him.

Now I’ve been looking into a new tank setup for him, found a nice 54x24x24 enclosure that is front loading so hopefully swapping his tank won’t cause too much stress on the poor guy. One question, does the light going out at one time bother uros? I could probably get a dimmer with a timer if it would help.

02/13/12  09:32pm

Benedita
View Profile

Message To: SmogHouse   In reference to Message Id: 2255127

My Uro hates me

I recommend using timers. Another advantage of using timers is that you can set each lamp separately, so the lights turn on and off in a progression. This way the enclosure gradually warms and brightens-- just like the natural world-- then reverse the process at night. I also get to save a few hours or my Mercury vapor bulb while my uros are still waking up, so my bulbs last longer.
just remember to check the rating on the timer. you may need to use an appliance timer rather than a household timer for your high wattage lamps, or if you have several lamps on one timer.

02/23/12  07:49am

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area