Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

This_Kids_   Vers   Rtl402   This_Kids_  

Member  Message

This_Kids_
View Profile

Food

what is a large variety for food as in salads for a uro? i know they about 70% herbivores and 30% carnivore

02/16/12  09:48pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: This_Kids_   In reference to Message Id: 2255635

Food

I’m not exactly sure where you gathered such information but it’s important to understand that it is not accurate. It is the opinion of many experts that uromastyx should be viewed and treated as herbivores, not omnivores. Although field studies have shown that uromastyx will occasionally take insects in the wild it is primarily opportunistic and or accidental in nature--In a published 4 year study on wild ornate uromastyx it was recorded that insects make up less than 1% of their diet, and that is due to the fact that the flowers and fruits they feed on attract them (insects). Granted this is only one study of one specific species or uromastyx, it’s enough for me to avoid feeding any animal proteins at all. In addition to this other studies have shown that feeding high quantities (re regular feedings) of animal proteins can and will cause liver disease and other internal issues, such as impaction and or internal lacerations caused by sharp/jagged exoskeletons/carapaces.

It’s also important to note that while you should treat this genus as a strict herbivore that does not mean that they should be fed any vegetable matter. They require a strict and balanced diet consisting of various food items, which include specific types of flower, greens, vegetables, fruits, legumes and seeds. For a complete list of proper (and improper) food items please visit the UroWiki ’Feeding’ section, where you will find a sub category titled ’List of food’.

I hope that helps.

02/16/12  10:19pm

Rtl402
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2255643

Food

you probably stumbled upon data 20 years old. There has been new data published which basically puts Uro’s into strict herbivore category. With ’probable’ ingestion of insects being accidental and less then 1% of their diet. The Urowiki is the best source for up to date information at this point.

02/17/12  06:56am

This_Kids_
View Profile

Message To: Rtl402   In reference to Message Id: 2255680

Food

Ok thank you I’m new to uromastyx so I don’t know much about them so thanks for the info

02/17/12  08:22am

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area