Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Charphy   Rtl402   Vers   Datsunissan28   Vers   Charphy   Vers  

Member  Message

Charphy
View Profile

Sick Mali

Hello,

I’ve had a Mali for 10 years. He is around 11. Wednesday night he was fine but Thursday was a different story. I took him to the vet and he has a respiratory infection. They gave him a shot of bactril and liquid to give him once a day for 10 days. Today is friday and it’s only been one day but he looks terrible. He will not eat at all not even his favorites. Has anyone had this happen to their uro’s.

He had a ton of watery stuff come out of his nose. Seems worse when I pick him up to give him meds. Also when he tries to open his mouth it looks a lot of mucus in there. The first time I gave him the liquid was today and he threw up a little after giving it to him.

So scared don’t want to loose him.

Kim

02/17/12  05:03pm

Rtl402
View Profile

Message To: Charphy   In reference to Message Id: 2255744

Sick Mali

is the watery discharge from the nose dripping off entirely or is it crystallizing into ’snalt’? if you could fill out the ’please read before posting’ questions I could get a better idea

02/22/12  09:39am

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Charphy   In reference to Message Id: 2255744

Sick Mali

Sorry to hear. If the uro was correctly diagnosed with a RI you must provide the prescribed meds, maintain low humidity within the enclosure and absolutely avoid bathing/soaking or any other direct contact with water. Also make absolute sure temps in the enclosure are where they are supposed to be using at least two reliable measuring devices (i.e. a digital thermometer and an IR temp gun) to ensure accuracy. You can try using brightly colored food items, like yellow pepper, radicchio or edible flowers, to entice the uro, but other than that I don’t know what else you could do to get it eating.

Keep us posted on it’s progress--I hope it rebounds.

02/22/12  10:17pm

Datsunissan28
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2256492

Sick Mali

Do you know where the vet injected the antibiotic at on the Uro. I know UroKeeper had pointed out that injections in the wrong part of body for a Uro to cause the kidneys to shut down. I’ll have to look through some older posts or see if he will reply if he still visits the site.

02/23/12  08:38am

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Datsunissan28   In reference to Message Id: 2256535

Sick Mali

That’s very interesting...I hope to hear a detailed explanation of this.

02/23/12  06:03pm

Charphy
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2256600

Sick Mali

The vet had given him an injection in the back leg. I have taken him to another reptile vet a few days ago. They did blood work and it came back yesterday that he is also dehydraded. So they suggest me soak him twice a week so he can get fluids and keep him on the baytril for another 20 days.

He is getting so skinny. All I’m getting in is his medication and a small 1/4 syringe full of baby food and critical care for reptiles (the vet had this and I saw on the deerfern farms). I have given him a little water by syringe also. I’m not seeing the runny nose but it does bubble sometimes and his eyes are partially closed.

His cage is 120 in the basking and cooler side I’m keeping about 95 because of his illiness. I bought another hydrometer to confirm and it’s about 10.

When I bought him they thought he was around 1 year old but he was already a good size so I’m guessing by the internet that he was 3. So I think he is around 13 years old. I’m not sure if this is his lifespan and I’m watching him detriate in front of me. So sad. After two vets no real answer except that it takes a long time for them to heal from an infection.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

02/28/12  07:19pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Charphy   In reference to Message Id: 2257177

Sick Mali

Check this Link out.

02/28/12  07:36pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area