Uromastyx Forum

Click Here To Register and Become A Member Of The RepticZone Family  

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Giovanni67   Vers   Rtl402   Giovanni67   Vers   Giovanni67  

Member  Message

Giovanni67
View Profile

Hey, I have a question

Hey everybody, Thanks for the info on my last disscussion forum. Samson is doing great. I am planning on putting in a new basking spot for him. I am thinking of putting granite in but I don’t know if it will get too hot for his stomoach. Does anybody know if I can put it on the hot or the cool side? Thanks for everyone’s help!

-Jonathan

02/23/12  08:31pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Giovanni67   In reference to Message Id: 2256621

Hey, I have a question

Granite? Do you already have a piece? I ask because materials like non-coated ceramic tile, natural slate or stone would essentially serve the same purpose and could be had for cheaper/for free. In fact today I hiked along an old rock wall through the woods and found two perfect basking/hide rocks (one 27"x12", the other 25" round, both 1.25"t), though I had to carry both back...about a mile or so through heavy brush/swamp and up and down shale banks. But for free, it was worth it. Or, you could just go to a stone yard or home depot/lowes and buy a piece of slate or tile for $3-10 (assuming you don’t already have the granite or if it’s free). Also, I’m not sure if this is a factor but a lot of granite, specifically counter tops, is treated with an oil repellent impregnator (prevents oils from soaking into the stone) or is surface sealed, which is something worth researching. If it’s natural, untreated granite there shouldn’t be a problem.

02/23/12  08:56pm

Rtl402
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2256625

Hey, I have a question

granite is iffy because even untreated granite gives off some emission of radon, which to humans is reasonably safe because of the distance emissions reach is very low. For a Uro sitting directly on it all the time is probably not safe. Natural slate holds heat the best and is very cost efficient

02/24/12  06:53am

Giovanni67
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2256625

Hey, I have a question

I got the granite from a place that makes granite counter tops and this was an extra piece. Too say it does not have the oil on it, I couldent say. So, I will not use it and I will pick up a new piece of slate from Home Depot or Lowes. It is winter here so they are not carrying it but as soon as they get it, I will pick one up.

Thanks

-Jonathan

02/24/12  03:28pm

Vers
View Profile

Message To: Rtl402   In reference to Message Id: 2256682

Hey, I have a question

I remember learning about this in earth science back in high school. I also remember a similar discussion on another forum where a member responded with:

Quote:

Actually granite would be fine to use. Rocks of igneous origin are stable, and do not break down. The heat resistant comment just means that heat will not negatively affect it.
And there are a lot more rocks which have a mild radioactive property than you realize.

I wonder if there are any actual studies on the topic--that would be an interesting read.

02/24/12  03:47pm

Giovanni67
View Profile

Message To: Vers   In reference to Message Id: 2256746

Hey, I have a question

Lol yes it would, thanks for all the help, this site is great!!!!!!! :)

-Jonathan

02/26/12  08:44pm

Back to Uromastyx Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area