Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Venomous Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Venomous Snakes Forum

BOVER   TJP   Fate   Flherp   TJP   Shiftylarry   Philodryas   Amphibiandude   Flherp   Concolor1   Philodryas   SoLA   Amphibiandude   Philodryas   Flherp   SoLA  
 Member  Message

BOVER
View Profile

Rear fanged species

i know that hognose are not on dwa or mangrove anymore, false water cobra but are there anymore which are not on dwa?
cheers

08/10/08  01:24am

TJP
View Profile

Message To: BOVER   In reference to Message Id: 1825699

Rear fanged species

Not sure what you are asking or what you are referring to as DWA. If you’re asking if any of the three are legal according to Governmental agencies, then it’s going to depend on what state you live in.
Both mangrove and FWC’s are considered dangerous animals in my state, but hognose are not.
There is a pretty long list of rear-fanged snakes that are considered dangerous animals by my State’s legislature.

08/12/08  12:25pm

Fate
View Profile

Message To: TJP   In reference to Message Id: 1828302

Rear fanged species

where would you go to find out if a snake like the FWC is illigal in your state?

09/04/08  12:18pm

Flherp
View Profile

Message To: Fate   In reference to Message Id: 1851196

Rear fanged species

Lives in the UK. DWA = Dangerous Wild Animal as defined by the Dangerous Wild Animal Act, need a license from the local council. There are some boards that have information specific to the UK that may be helpful try, Reptile Forums UK.

09/07/08  06:51am

TJP
View Profile

Message To: Flherp   In reference to Message Id: 1853471

Rear fanged species

Ah, gotcha.

09/11/08  01:15pm

Shiftylarry
View Profile

Message To: TJP   In reference to Message Id: 1856813

Rear fanged species

You can own dog toothed cat snakes in some states, and they’re super dangerous. However, you can’t own Asian Arrowana. Our country can be a tad ridiculous at times, and just because you can own something doesn’t mean you’re not putting yourself in danger.

09/12/08  10:03am

Philodryas
View Profile

Message To: Shiftylarry   In reference to Message Id: 1857598

Rear fanged species

"You can own dog toothed cat snakes in some states, and they’re super dangerous."

Would you mind allso entering the scientific name of the dog toothed cat snakes? There are allot of different species and i’m not sure i would call any of them "Super dangerous"

/Ronny

09/25/08  07:20pm

Amphibiandude
View Profile

Message To: Philodryas   In reference to Message Id: 1868304

Rear fanged species

just cause a snake is rear fanged doesnt mean its not extreemly venomous like the coral snake the most venomouse snake in north america is a rear fanged species

09/25/08  07:26pm

Flherp
View Profile

Message To: Amphibiandude   In reference to Message Id: 1868315

Rear fanged species

Coral Snakes are elapidae, related to cobras, kraits and mambas...they are proteroglyphous, not opistoglyphous.

09/26/08  11:29pm

Concolor1
View Profile

Message To: Flherp   In reference to Message Id: 1869105

Translating "proteroglyphous"

Thanks; I was waiting for a real authority to correct the misconception about coral snakes . . . My undergrad degree is in English, so while I’m happy to make judgments on nuanced semantics, I defer to the science sorts on matters-of-fact.

What that means is they are front-fanged snakes, but the fangs are small and fixed; the snake bites the prey animal and chews to inject the venom deeply...

Probably the most venomous rear-ranged snake is the boomslang (Dispholidus typus).

09/26/08  11:51pm

Philodryas
View Profile

Message To: Amphibiandude   In reference to Message Id: 1868315

Rear fanged species

Just where did i say that rearfanged snakes can’t be "extreamly venomous" and as stated above, coralsnakes are not rearfanged. Most "cateyed snakes" are not very dangerous to man. But there are several rearfanged species that shold be considerd deadly some examples are Boomslangs (Dispholidus typus), Twigsnakes (Theletornis sp) and some species of Philodyas sp.

Please do at least some reading before you post abot things you really dont know anything about.

Cheers, Ronny

09/28/08  04:01pm

SoLA
View Profile

Message To: Philodryas   In reference to Message Id: 1870026

Rear fanged species

Everyone forgets about one of the most potent rear fangs on the planet. The little 10 inch Philotris would mess you up. I actually have a feeling it is this snakes similar appearance to baby Clelia that gave mussuranas such a bad reputation in folk lore.

Mussuranas are rear fanged but I would by no means consider them deadly. But my gosh would they hurt.

Rhabdophis is a rear fanged snake thats venom will also mess you up. Plus, it is also poisonous.

09/28/08  04:14pm

Amphibiandude
View Profile

Message To: SoLA   In reference to Message Id: 1870030

Rear fanged species

i was herping here in texas and i saw a coral snake today

09/28/08  09:19pm

Philodryas
View Profile

Message To: SoLA   In reference to Message Id: 1870030

Rear fanged species

Thats absolutly right, it sounds sooo wrong talking about a poisonous snake haha. Btw, i’ll recive some Rhabdophis tigrinus in a few weeks. I’ll be uploading some pictures of them!

09/28/08  10:31pm

Flherp
View Profile

Message To: Philodryas   In reference to Message Id: 1870389

Rear fanged species

The argument over venomous and poisonous is semantic, all venoms are poisons, but not all poisons are venoms. Poisons may be ingested, injected, absorbed, or inhaled. Please note that injection is one of the acceptable routes. If I were to inject you with arsenic (a poison), is it a venom? I would think not. Venoms are a subset of poisons that are produced in certain animals for defense or prey acquisition, they are generally injected via some naturally evolved apparatus.

I would not consider Phalotris species some of the most dangerous opisthoglyphs (rear-fanged species). Dispholidus and Thelotornis are probably considerably more dangerous genera than the Phalotris, although there is a dearth of medical reports concerning bites from species in this genus.

10/03/08  09:34am

SoLA
View Profile

Message To: Flherp   In reference to Message Id: 1873771

Rear fanged species

1- The poisonous part was to refer to the neck secretions in addition to the venom delivered from the fangs. Sorry if there was confusion. Venom is a more specific poison...and the "generic" is also found in Rhabdophis. Which would actually be considered aglyphous for those curious.

2- Phalotris I said was one of the post toxic. Not the most dangerous. This little 10 inch snake with a small yield causes dramatic damage to humans (from the reports given) with this tiny amount. I would certainly consider it of great concern.

10/03/08  08:32pm

Back to Venomous Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area