Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Venomous Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Venomous Snakes Forum

Catt1991   Catt1991   Chance   Catt1991   MeercatMilker   Louis Fourie   Eunectes4   Catt1991  
 Member  Message

Catt1991
View Profile

African Coral Snake

does any1 own one? my uncle said he just got a baby one. they kinda look like cobras, wats with that?? if any1 has any info on them i would love to now, thanxs!!! heres a pic

thanxs,

catt

12/10/05  05:54am

Catt1991
View Profile

Message To: Catt1991   In reference to Message Id: 569119

African Coral Snake

oh i just found out coral and cobras are related so that solves that question, but still any info would b great.

catt

12/10/05  06:13am

Chance
View Profile

Message To: Catt1991   In reference to Message Id: 569126

African Coral Snake

African coral snakes, aka coral cobras (genus Aspidelaps) are related to true cobras, but then again so are North American coral snakes which do not stand and hood. Coral cobras are similar to coral snakes in that they are fossorial species, i.e. species that spend most of their time underground, and both groups tend to feed on other reptiles in the wild. The major difference is that coral cobras have a much more dramatic defense display than coral snakes, as you have seen, and coral cobras feed readily on rodents in captivity whereas coral snakes are almost always herp feeders no matter where they are. Coral cobras are very neat little snakes though, and not terribly toxic. They make good trainer cobras because of that aspect, as well as their small size, poor striking ability (because of their poor eyesight), and easy husbandry. I wish your uncle good luck in caring for his new little captive. Iím sure heíll enjoy it.

12/10/05  11:00am

Catt1991
View Profile

Message To: Chance   In reference to Message Id: 569241

African Coral Snake

cool thanxs for the info, iím goin to c it at the weekend canít wait, he said he aslo has a few new rhino vipers (which i love),and some type of cobra (canít remember the name),

thanxs again,

catt

12/10/05  12:36pm

MeercatMilker
View Profile

Message To: Catt1991   In reference to Message Id: 569332

African Coral Snake

Coral snake (Aspidelaps lubricus)
Max. SVL 687 mm male, 600mm female

Description:
A short, solid snake with a large nostril shield on the nose, smooth scales in 19 rows at midbody, and usually a characteristic banded pattern. The head is reddish, with a black crossbar between the eyes, an arrow shape on the top, and a broad nuchal collar. The body is orange to coral-red, with 20-47 black cross bands that decrease in width towards the tail. The belly is yellowish, with the crossbars completely encircling the body in young, but fading in adults, leaving only the first 2-3 intact. In the northern races, the colour pattern also fades.

Biology and breeding:
The coral snake is bad-tempered. Although it does well in captivity, it rarely forgives its captor. It is fond of rocky outcrops. The diet consists mainly of small vertebrates, particularly other reptiles. Its venom is poorly known, but is apparently neurotoxic. The venom yield for Aspidelaps infuscatus has been recorded at 50 mg, with an LD50 300 Ķg/kg. The effectiveness of antivenom is unknown. Bites from the southern race have not resulted in serious symptoms, but a bite from Aspidelaps infuscatus was reported to have killed two children. Lays 3-11 eggs (50-54 x 15 mm) in December; these hatch in 59-71 days. The young measure 170-180 mm TL. In captivity, lay clutches every two months during summer.

Habitat:
Karroid and sandvelt.

Subspecies:
Three races: Aspidelaps lubricus rarely grows longer that 600 mm, is conspicuously banded, and has 20-28 subcaudals; found through Karoo to s. Namibia.
Aspidelaps infuscatus grows larger, has a black head, and a grey-brown body with vague dark cross bands; occurs in central Namibia.
Aspidelaps cowlesi has a pale head and uniform grey-brown body; occurs in Kaokoveld, SW Angola.

12/21/05  02:05pm

Louis Fourie
View Profile

Message To: Catt1991   In reference to Message Id: 569119

African Coral Snake

Hi

I live in a private Nature Park in Namibia and I am part owner of the Park with some American Partners. We captured two Namibian Coral snakes yesterday (30/12/05) near my house and released them some miles away for their own safety. I did not realize that they were Coral snakes, though I had a suspicion and surfed the net to find out more about them, then came across your picture. I will send you pics of the two I captured. One (the bigger one, about 2 ft in length) faked death while the smaller (1.5 ft) was very agro. I suspect they were mated and the larger is the female? If you want some pics, contact me. Louis Fourie

12/31/05  01:27am

Eunectes4
View Profile

Message To: Louis Fourie   In reference to Message Id: 588335

African Coral Snake

Poor striking ability...I have seen otherwise (not been hit).

everyone else hit about everything. Fun snakes...faster strikes than you may think.

12/31/05  06:31am

Catt1991
View Profile

Message To: Eunectes4   In reference to Message Id: 588391

African Coral Snake

cool i would love some pics! my uncles coral was beautiful!! very active and lovely colours, the rhino vipers were kinda sloggy lol, he said hes trying to find a mate for the coral and breed them,

catt

01/01/06  09:52am

Back to Venomous Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area