Your Reptile and Amphibian Resource and Information Site

Back to Venomous Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area  

Venomous Snakes Forum

Snake_searcher   Petra   Head2273   Jjspirko   TJP   Jjspirko   Head2273   Viper keeper   Ribbonsnakeyy   Viper keeper   Gaboon   Ribbonsnakeyy   Ribbonsnakeyy   Viper keeper   Jjspirko   Viper keeper   Jjspirko  
 Member  Message

Snake_searcher
View Profile

Gaboon/Rino Viper hybrid

wondering what it looks like

08/20/06  11:14pm

Petra
View Profile

Message To: Snake_searcher   In reference to Message Id: 949296

Gaboon/Rino Viper hybrid

absolutely gorgeous...go to kingsnake website and type gabino in to the search or just look for them...

08/21/06  12:26am

Head2273
View Profile

Message To: Petra   In reference to Message Id: 949398

Gaboon/Rino Viper hybrid

Pics of a friends.

08/21/06  12:49am

Jjspirko
View Profile

Message To: Head2273   In reference to Message Id: 949421

Gaboon/Rino Viper hybrid

They are indeed really beautiful but this and another thread here has made me think about something though. I also have seen several episodes of a show called Venom ER about a poisionous snake unite in Southern California. The Doc does a great job of saving most folks and most are bitten by Southern Pacific Rattlesnakes. Problem is the venom is changing becomming more neurotoxic and responding less favorably to antivenom.

Now this is happening naturally as the snakes develop and adapt to their environment, etc. Of course it makes it harder to save lives and limbs for the docs.

So this has me wondering how smart is it really for some breeders to be creating hybrid venomous snakes. We do this with harmless species all the time, (sinacorns, kingcorns, imperial publens, etc) and a lot of folks object for reasons about it being unatural etc. but no real harm can come from this.

But what about a RinoGabby? I mean a rino viper tags you and the ER has enough of a problem saving you already, same thing if not worse if you get tagged by a Gaboon. But image a hospital in say Dallas or Atlanta or Jacksonville not really prepared for most snake bites, specificly not prepared for exotic venomous stuff and you come in with a swollen black hand and state, "My Gaboon/Rino Viper hybrid just bit me".

I wonder what we are creating when we preform unatural crossbreeding of highly venomous snakes? Any thoughts on that?

Jack

08/21/06  05:00pm

TJP
View Profile

Message To: Jjspirko   In reference to Message Id: 950210

Gaboon/Rino Viper hybrid

"My Gaboon/Rino Viper hybrid just bit me".

Chances are, SAIMR would cover a bite from that particular hybrid. Little has been done as far as testing toxicity of hybrid venomous snakes, though.

"I wonder what we are creating when we preform unatural crossbreeding of highly venomous snakes? Any thoughts on that?"

I personally donít believe in breeding to make hybridís, but in the wild, some do occur. Gaboonís and rhinoís are one of the naturally occurring hybridís, so it really isnít that unnatural.

08/21/06  06:09pm

Jjspirko
View Profile

Message To: TJP   In reference to Message Id: 950316

Gaboon/Rino Viper hybrid

I was wondering if the anti venom might be similar or the same for both but it does make you think about making hybrid venomous animals.

Also I did not know they naturaly crossed in the wild. Cool stuff but I sure would not want to get tagged by any of the three,

Jack

08/21/06  07:47pm

Head2273
View Profile

Message To: Jjspirko   In reference to Message Id: 950452

Gaboon/Rino Viper hybrid

The gabinos in the pic and in fact (from all I have heard) all the gabino babies out there right now are from the same clutch. And they are from a wc gravid female.

08/21/06  09:07pm

Viper keeper
View Profile

Message To: Head2273   In reference to Message Id: 950570

Gaboon/Rino Viper hybrid

Diamond reptile has gabino juveniles that I think are from a w/c female. I know hellfire reptiles breeds them in captivity though.

09/02/06  07:28am

Ribbonsnakeyy
View Profile

Message To: Viper keeper   In reference to Message Id: 967927

Gaboon/Rino Viper hybrid

they had them at the hamburg reptile show! lots of them they were cheap im not sure how much but i remeber saying"wow thats cheap" LoL

09/02/06  09:09am

Viper keeper
View Profile

Message To: Ribbonsnakeyy   In reference to Message Id: 967988

Gaboon/Rino Viper hybrid

Ribbon if you were at the last Hamburg show you probably saw me there, I was right across from Diamond Reptile Breeders where the Gabinos were working the table for Serpents Den. I am 6í2, shaved head with piercings and tattoos, one of which is a tribal on the right side of my head. I will probably be working the next Hamburg show in Oct for Serpents Den also and we will probably be along the bleachers in the venomous section. Stop by and say hi if you like. The going price for Gabinos around this area has been around $500 to $600 for one and has been for as many years as I can remember. That is cheap as compared to a Clark purple phase albino retic but still a nice chunk of change.

09/03/06  12:46am

Gaboon
View Profile

Message To: Jjspirko   In reference to Message Id: 950210

Gaboon/Rino Viper hybrid

"Problem is the venom is changing becoming more neurotoxic and responding less favorably to antivenom."

Interesting. I saw a show a while ago that said some of the Australian elapids are developing an immunity to the poison of the cane toad. Evolution may not be as slow as was long believed.

09/09/06  11:01pm

Ribbonsnakeyy
View Profile

Message To: Gaboon   In reference to Message Id: 977567

Gaboon/Rino Viper hybrid

yea, ill be there, i might stop by, serpents den...ok

09/10/06  06:47pm

Ribbonsnakeyy
View Profile

Message To: Ribbonsnakeyy   In reference to Message Id: 978548

Gaboon/Rino Viper hybrid

o by the way, where is serpents den...i havaea heard of it? is it a store or just a place online or something like that?

09/10/06  06:48pm

Viper keeper
View Profile

Message To: Ribbonsnakeyy   In reference to Message Id: 978550

Gaboon/Rino Viper hybrid

Yes serpents den is a store located in lehighton pa for the time being. He is moving soon though I think, he may have already moved. I havenít talked to him in over a week. He also has a web page and has some ads from time to time on kingsnake.

Here is a pic of another Gabino, I will be picking this beauty up at the Oct 21 Hamburg show.

0.1 Gabino

09/13/06  08:10am

Jjspirko
View Profile

Message To: Viper keeper   In reference to Message Id: 981666

Gaboon/Rino Viper hybrid

I am not willing personaly to take on the risk of one of these in my home but they are simply stunning animals, beautiful snake there you are getting.

Jack

09/13/06  11:09pm

Viper keeper
View Profile

Message To: Jjspirko   In reference to Message Id: 982640

Gaboon/Rino Viper hybrid

Thanks Jack. If you have young kids and the such I donít blame you for not wanting to take the risk. If you live by yourself though or it is just you and the wife or girlfriend and you know what you are doing with such fine creatures like these I donít see it as much of a risk, but that is just me.

A update on my Gabino - I checked my work schedule and I may not be able to make the next Hamburg Pa show so I had it shipped to me for today, she is supposed to come in at 1:40 p.m. so look for some pics of her in the next few days if interested.

09/14/06  07:20am

Jjspirko
View Profile

Message To: Viper keeper   In reference to Message Id: 982874

Gaboon/Rino Viper hybrid

Just so you know Viper,

My reasons are specific to my situation and I begrudge no one the joy of keeping hots so long as they are informed and proceedure is followed.

My full reasons are

1. I am NOT GOOD at following a proceedure long term. While I do a lot of field herping and have no problem with hots for photos including moving them for better shots or catching and removing them from an area I would get apathetic over time if i dealt with the same animal each and every day.

2. I am alergic to horse serum! (This alone is reason enough)

3. I do have kids in and out of the house every single day

4. I also own dogs and cats

So it is just me personaly I have nothing against anyone else doing it the right way,

Jack

09/14/06  09:53am

Back to Venomous Snakes Forum   Forums   Home   Members Area